CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1146120

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, ST MARYS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146120 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 07:19:33.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, ST MARYS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Dinton

National Grid Reference: SU 00932 31669

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 03 SW DINTON ST MARYS ROAD (west side) 1/158 Church of St Mary the Virgin 23.3.60

GV I Anglican parish church. Late C12, late C13, C14, C15, restored 1873-75 by William Butterfield. Rubble stone, tiled roofs with coped verges and cross finials. Aisle-less cruciform plan with 1870s south vestry and north porch. Gabled porch with double chamfered pointed doorway and 1870s double doors, nave has pair of cusped ogee-headed lancets either side, octagonal stair turret with arrow loopholes and conical roof, in angle between nave and north transept. C13 north transept has C19 three-light Perpendicular- style north window, three stepped lancets to east. C14 chancel has low moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould and three 3-light windows with reticulated tracery to north side, east end has diagonal buttresses and large 5-light windows with intersecting tracery, ogee quatrefoil over, south side has three 3-light windows as north. South transept has 3-light C19 Perpendicular-style south window, lancet to east, diagonal buttresses. Lean-to vestry attached to south side of nave has large stone chimney stack, lancets; nave has blocked pointed doorway, pair of cusped lancets to left, right pair now within vestry. West end has diagonal buttresses and 3-light window of lancets. Crossing tower of 2 stages has string course to offset bellstage and 2-light pointed Perpendicular louvred windows with hoodmoulds, string course to battlemented parapet. Interior: Late C12 north doorway within porch has attached shafts with stylised leaf capitals and double chamfered pointed arch. Nave has 4-bay rafter wagon roof with three tie-beams. C14 crossing with triple chamfered arches on chamfered square piers, quadripartite rib vault with bell rope hatch and Signs of the Evangelists on corbels. Blacked doorway on north side of nave, formerly to rood loft, pointed doorway in north transept to stairs. South transept has scissor-rafter roof, trefoil-headed piscina on south wall, north transept has similar roof, both C19. Chancel has pointed barrel vaulted roof with ribbed panels and rosettes, two cambered moulded tie-beams, polychrome tiled floor, moulded string course at sill level, C14 ogee-headed piscina on south wall. Fittings: pews and choir stalls, wood and stone hexagonal pulpit and communion rail by Butterfield. Square Purbeck marble font on columns with blind trefoiled arcading to sides. Original C14 stained glass in south east window of chancel, rest of glass clear. Royal Arms of George IT on south wall of nave. Monuments: Marble cartouche in chancel to Lawrence and Edward Hyde died 1676, marbles in north transept to members of Wyndham family of Phillips House (q.v.), the best to William Wyndham died 1733 with broken segmental pediment and arms, fluted pilasters and gadrooned apron. South transept stone tablet with Ionic pilasters to Rebecca Madox (sic), died 1695. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0092631668

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 320744

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing