COMPTON PARK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1146151

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Statutory Address: COMPTON PARK HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COMPTON PARK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146151 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 17:53:39.

Location

Statutory Address: COMPTON PARK HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Compton Chamberlayne

National Grid Reference: SU 02922 30117

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 03 SW COMPTON CHAMBERLAYNE COMPTON PARK (west side)

1/136 Compton Park House 23.3.60

GV I Country house. C17, rebuilt late C18 by Charles Penruddocke. Dressed limestone, Welsh slate roofs, rendered stacks. Two- storey, 7-window symmetrical east front. Square stone porch with castellated parapet and Tudor-arched doorway, C20 door, three Venetian sash windows either side, first floor has seven 12-pane sashes, good lead rainwater goods, moulded cornice to battlemented parapet. Left return has two sashes to ground and first floors and one 9-pane sash to second floor. Right return has two sashes to ground and first floors; no attic. Courtyard on north side has sashes on all three elevations to ground, first and second floors, north-facing elevation has low Tudor-arched blocked doorway to left. South side has staggered elevations of rear wings; glazed door with St Andrews crosses to glazing bars and pediment on consoles, 12-pane sashes to south side of wing to right, west gable end of this wing has rainwater head dated 1780 and C17 two-light ovolo-mullioned casements to ground, first and second floors, 3- light mullioned casement to attic, tripartite sash to left. Two- storey rear wing to left has 12-pane sashes to ground and first floors, attached 3-bay loggia with double chamfered pointed arches to left. Rear has 6-panelled doors and sashes, buttress with offset to left, attached rear offices and staff accommodation in picturesque late C18 two-storey blocks with sashes and battlemented parapets. Interior: entrance hall with coved ceiling, bolection- moulded fireplace, pairs of 2-panelled doors. Drawing room to left, of c1700 with full panelling and rich carved decoration especially to door architraves and overmantel in Grinling Gibbons tradition, fine plaster ceiling and marble bolection-moulded fireplace, plaster swags over windows, broken segmental pediments over doors with Penruddocke Arms. Dining room to right of hall, in 1780s addition, has fine Adam-style plaster ceiling and fireplace, good door has fluted panels with paterae. Large stair hall with good open-well stairs with two barleytwist balusters per open string tread, carved tread-ends, wide moulded, ramped handrail; probably early C18. Rear breakfast room with shallow barrel-vaulted ceiling, newel wooden stairs at rear, lit by mullioned casements. Small sitting room at south end has full raised panelling, eared fireplace surround with pulvinated frieze, plaster ceiling with scrolled ornament. House acquired by Edward Penruddocke c1600, refitted late C17 and externally rebuilt 1780 by Charles Penruddocke; the family were prominent Royalists during the Civil War. Set in fine parkland with landscaped lake. (Country Life, August 13th, 1910; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0292230117

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 320722

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
'Country Life' in 13 August, (1910)

End of official listing