DOVECOTE AT FAULSTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1146160
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1960
Statutory Address:
DOVECOTE AT FAULSTON HOUSE, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOVECOTE AT FAULSTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 19:40:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
DOVECOTE AT FAULSTON HOUSE, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bishopstone
National Grid Reference:
SU 07289 25631

Details

SU 02 NE BISHOPSTONE MILL LANE (north side)

5/54 Dovecote at Faulston House 23.3.60

GV II*

Dovecote. Early Cl7. Flint with dressed limestone bands, conical tiled roof with raised conical louvre at apex. Formerly of several storeys, now open from ground to roof. North side facing Faulston House (q.v.) has tall chamfered doorway, upper part now blocked, to left is first floor planked door and recessed chamfered square windows or loopholes. West side has blocked Tudor-arched opening at upper floor level and several loopholes. South side has one blocked and one open recessed chamfered window. Interior has stone corbels to former first floor, walls above are lined with stone pigeon boxes, renewed roof timbers. According to-local legend and John Aubrey there were once four such towers around the moated Faulston House, but this has not been substantiated. (John Aubrey, The Natural History of Wiltshire, 1847)

Listing NGR: SU0728925631

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320640
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Aubrey, J, Natural History of Wiltshire, (1847)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/00252/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].