This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1146203



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wylye

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 320542

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WYLYE CHURCH STREET SU 03 NW (north side) 2/108 Church of St. Mary 23.3.60. GV II* Anglican parish church. C13, C15, 1846 rebuilding by T.H. Wyatt. Dressed limestone, flint, tiled roof. Plan: west tower, nave with north aisle, chancel with north vestry, south porch. Gabled south porch with Tudor-arched doorway with blocked reset C14 niche over, diagonal buttresses, cusped lancet to west side. Nave has 3-light C19 Perpendicular-style window either side of porch, cusped C19 lancet to left; all with scrolled hoodmoulds. Chancel has pair of C13 lancets with C19 quatrefoil over, so forming plate tracery window, C19 lancet to right, east end has diagonal buttresses, chequered flint and stone wall, three C13 stepped lancets with attached billet-moulded shafts with stiff leaf capitals and dogtooth ornament to arches, hoodmould over and C19 quatrefoil above, coped verge on Medieval carved head corbels, north side has C19 two-light plate tracery window. Gabled vestry with 2-light plate tracery window and chamfered Tudor-arched doorway. North aisle has pitched roof, rebuilt C19 with 2 cusped lancets and two 2-light Perpendicular windows, buttresses with offsets, east window is C19 two-light Perpendicular. Stair turret against north side of tower has two arrow loops and stone pitched roof. Three-stage tower has cyma-moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, moulded Tudor- arched west doorway, 3-light pointed Perpendicular window and octagonal clock face over, south side has 2-light C16-style window to second stage, moulded string course to bellstage; 2-light pointed Perpendicular window with decorative pierced louvres to south and west sides, single light to north and square-headed 2- light Perpendicular window to east, moulded string course with gargoyles to battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. Interior: Porch has arch-braced collar-rafter roof, C19 half- glazed inner doors with pointed arch. Nave with C19 three and half-bay arch-braced collar truss roof on stone corbels, stone floor. Perpendicular tower arch, partly filled with C19 wooden screen and door, cyma-moulded Tudor-arched doorway to tower stairs. North aisle has 3-bay arcade with plain chamfered arches on C14- style octagonal piers, arch-braced collar truss roof. C19 chancel arch; C19 three-bay chancel roof, good Minton tiled floor of 1871, fine east windows with C13 billet-moulded rere-arches on shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, five stone tablets set in walls; all with heraldic shields and illegible except for one to Mary Stevens died 1685. Fittings: very finely carved Jacobean pulpit with octagonal tester dated 1628, barleysugar balusters to stairs late C17, from Wilton St. Mary; matching reading desk; C19 octagonal stone font, C18 vase font retained at west end of north aisle, with sundial set on top; three brass candelabra in nave, one dated 1814, from Wilton St. Mary; commandment and prayer boards in north aisle. Some good late C19 and early C20 stained glass including two windows by Kempe in north aisle, 1840's glass in chancel. George III Royal Arms in north aisle. North aisle has painted tryptych behind altar of 1891. Medieval carving on north wall of the Crucifixion, said to be originally over porch door. Classical marble wall tablets include mid C19 tablet to Perrior family, in south side of nave, marble tablets in chancel include one to Frances Baker died 1840. Six bells include bells of 1587 and 1697. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: SU0080737732

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 00807 37732


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 01:20:54.

End of official listing