This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

List entry Number: 1146278

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Tollard Royal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 320425

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 91 NW TOLLARD ROYAL TOLLARD ROYAL VILLAGE (south side)

8/199 Church of St. Peter ad Vincula

6.1.66

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C13, C15, restored 1882. Flint and limestone, tiled roof. Plan: west tower, nave, north aisle, south porch and chancel. Gabled south porch has hollow-chamfered Tudor- arched doorway with flanking buttresses with offsets. South side of nave to right of porch has cusped lancet, 3-light C16 window with cusped lights and hoodmould, C13 window with pair of cusped lancets and trefoil, buttresses with offsets. Chancel has pointed priest's doorway with pair of cusped lancets to either side, east end has diagonal buttresses and C19 three-light geometric-style window with foliated terminals to hoodmould, north side has pair of cusped lancets and lean-to vestry with cusped light. C19 north aisle has 3-light geometric-style east window, diagonal buttresses, pitched roof, pointed north doorway with double doors and 2-light trefoiled window either side and to west. Two-stage west tower has moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, 3-light Perpendicular windows with hoodmould to west, square-headed cusped light to north, offset bellstage has 2-light Perpendicular window to each face with louvres, string course and battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. Interior: chamfered pointed doorway with planked door with ornamental strap hinges, panelled porch ceiling. Four-bay C19 nave roof has scissor bracing to collar and rib-panelled ceiling over. C19 restored tower arch. Three-bay north arcade has double- chamfered pointed arches on square piers with simple moulded capitals, aisle roof has arch-braced collar and tie-beam trusses and rib-panelling. C19 chancel arch; double-cyma moulded arch on triple shaft corbels, square hoodmould. Two-bay chancel roof has cusped principals and rib-panelling, cusped C19 piscina on south wall, good early C18 communion rails with gate and turned barleysugar balusters to heavy rail. C19 pews and choir stalls. Grey marble tablet on north wall of chancel to Robert Barber of Ashmore with gadrooned apron, fluted pilasters and cornice with urn finials and heraldic cartouche; Robert Barber died 1686 and another Robert Barber of Ashcombe (q.v., Berwick St. John C.P.), died 1740. Gothic memorial to George Pitt-Rivers died 1810 by T. Gaffin of London. Marble sarcophagus and memorial in semi-circular niche to General A.H. Lane Fox Pitt-Rivers of Rushmore (q.v.), died 1900 after 20 years of anthropological research, inscription records him as Inspector of Ancient Monuments. C14 recumbent knight, Sir William Payne in nave. Fine Italian stained glass in north aisle by Bertini of Milan, 1867. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975). ----------------------------------

Listing NGR: ST9440517717

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: ST 94405 17717

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146278 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 10:42:32.

End of official listing