OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1146524
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1961
Statutory Address:
OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY, BEDFORD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146524.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:42:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY, BEDFORD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Woburn
National Grid Reference:
SP 94866 33246

Details

SP 9433-9533 WOBURN BEDFORD STREET 8/100 23.1.61 Old Church of St Mary GV II* Former mortuary chapel, now redundant, incorporating remains of medieval parish church. Late medieval origins, tower reworked 1830 by Edward Blore. Remainder of church demolished and mortuary, chapel constructed 1865-8 for William 8th Duke of Bedford. At least some of this later work by Henry Clutton (Bedfordshire Record Office: R5/917 General Account: Cash Book 1867- 68). Coursed ironstone with ashlar dressings. Leaded roofs. Tower to N, linked by low block on S side to mortuary chapel, forming an L-plan. Perpendicular style, with variety of tracery to windows. Tower: 4 stages, each one set back slightly from the one below it. Ground stage stonework is all that remains of medieval fabric. Diagonal buttresses surmounted by tall crocketed pinnacles. Embattled parapet. Ground stage has C19 segmental arches to W and E, thus forming entrance porch to building. 2nd stage has single light to W elevation. Bell-stage has pointed-arched 2-light louvred openings to each side. Tower is surmounted by octagonal pierced stone lantern, with small flying buttresses, crocketed pinnacles, and crocketed concave conical roof. Link block has plain parapet and 3-light square-headed mullioned windows to W and E. Chapel: Simple 3-bay structure. 3-light 4- centred-arched windows to N and S elevations. W end has 2 2-light windows and quatrefoil to attic level. 5-light E window. Plain parapet. Interior: 3- bay oak roof with moulded timbers. Carved stone corbels showing variety of heads. N wall has marble monument (from earlier church) to Sir Francis Staunton and wife Elizabeth (d.1630), with 2 relief panels showing husband, wife and children kneeling either side of prayer desk. Monument is surmounted by broken pediment and cartouche. E window stained glass includes Bedford family arms surrounded by the Garter and surmounted by a coronet, and figures of the Evangelists and Moses and Aaron.

Listing NGR: SP9486633246

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38203
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10006/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr W A Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].