CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1146567

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1964

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HELEN, WILLINGHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146567 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 08:31:07.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HELEN, WILLINGHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Lea

National Grid Reference: SK 83082 86678

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 88 NW LEA WILLINGHAM ROAD (north side)

1/33 Church of 16.12.64 St. Helen

I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1849 by J. L. Pearson. Coursed limestone rubble, blue lias rubble, limestone ashlar. Plain tiled roofs with coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with south porch and large north aisle, south transept and rectangular chancel. C15 west tower of 4 stages with plinth and angle buttresses. Large pointed west window with deeply moulded surround, 3 cusped lights with pointed and vertical tracery above, hood mould and north head label stop. Clock above. Small rectangular staircase lights to south of-west front. North and south sides with small single rectangular lights under bell stage string course. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with pointed head, 2 cusped pointed- openings, vertical tracery and hood mould. Moulded eaves above with 2 projecting animal gargoyles on both north and south sides. Battlements and 8 ornate pinnacles above. Large early C14 north aisle with heavily moulded plinth, battlements and 8 ornate pinnacles. West window with pointed head, moulded surround, 2 ogee headed cusped lights withquatrefoil and mouchettes. Large 2 stage diagonal buttress. North side with 2 rectangular windows, each of 3 cusped, ogee headed lights with vertical tracery, alternating with 2 stage buttresses. East end north aisle with large pointed window with moulded surround, 3 cusped lights and tracery. East end of chancel with 2 C19 ashlar dressed lancets with continuous hood moulds and large cusped oculus above. South side of chancel with small pointed early C13 window with 2pointed lights and plate tracery. C19 south transept with small turreted bulge in corner of aisle and transept. South side of transept with pointed, 2 light window with cusped oculus and hood mould. South side of nave with 2 pointed C14 windows partly restored in C19-, each with 2 pointed cusped lights, quatrefoil, hood--mould and--head label stops. South porch restored in C19 with large C14 ogee headed doorway with ornate cusping, double chamfered jambs, hood mould and ornate finial. Porch interior flanked by stone benches with C19 pointed doorway with moulded head and jambs in one with ball flower, hood mould, ornate label stops and plank door. C13 tower arch with large pointed chamfered head with large keeled responds and keeled capitals. Early C13 north arcade of 2 bays with double chamfered pointed heads, octagonal pier and polygonal responds. C19 chancel arch with moulded, pointed head and responds with 3 clustered shafts with shaft rings. C13 arch to south transept re-opened in C19 with double chamfered pointed head supported on ornate corbels with lion and human corbels. Small C19 cusped ogee headed doorway to east with chamfered surround. C13 aumbry leading from chancel to north aisle with double chamfered pointed head, inner order supported on large corbel heads, doorway to east with Caernarvon head to north and cusped ogee head to south. Rectangular aumbry in north wall of chancel. East window of chancel with C19 nook shafts, shaft rings and chipstar decoration. C13 pointed piscina in south wall of chancel. Large effigy of cross-legged knight, Sir Ralph Trehampton, of c1300, painted in C20. C14 piscina on east wall of north aisle with ogee cupsed head and corbel above holding large C19 angel. East window of north aisle with stained glass of c,1330 with fragmentary crucifixion, bishop Grosseteste, various heads and architectural. features. C19 pews, wagon roofs, font, lectern, altar rails, chairs and C20 ornate screen. Monument on north wall of north aisle to Mary Anderson, died 1636, in black and white marble, gold leaf, cartouche with coat of arms, broken pediment, flowered bands and ornate apron. Flanked by 2 similar grey and white monuments to Sir William Anderson, died 1785 and Lady Anderson 1798. Further east a black and white triangular marble monument with urn to Catherine Shuldham, died 1797. Memorial on south pier to Francis Anderson, died 1881 with map showing position of his burial at sea near the' Ascension Islands. Several C19 monuments.

Listing NGR: SK8307886678

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 197080

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing