Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146568.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2021 at 13:47:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Holland (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 38888 23680


FLEET HALL GATE TF 32 SE (east side)

10/29 Church of St. Mary 30.6.66 Magdalen

G.V. I

Parish church. c.1180-1190, mid C14, restored 1798, 1843 and 1860-2 by C. Bennett of Lynn. Limestone rubble and ashlar. Concrete tile and lead roofs with stone coped gables with cross finials and single small stacks to north-west and south-west. Nave with north and south aisles and south porch, chancel. Moulded plinth and regularly placed 2 stage buttresses run round the entire church. All the window tracery restored in C19. West front clasped by north and south aisles. String course rises under a large pointed late C14, heavily restored in C19, west window with 5 ogee headed, cusped lights with transom, panel tracery and hood mould. Pointed doorway to right with hood mould running into string course and plank door. Pointed window beyond with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, C19 tracery and hood mould. A similar window in the west of the north aisle. North side with 2 pointed windows to the right, each with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, C19 flowing tracery and hood mould. Pointed doorway to left with double chamfered surround, hood mould running into string course and double panelled doors. Truncated window above with pointed head, 3 cusped ogee headed lights, C19 flowing tracery and hood mould. 2 similar full length windows beyond. East end of north aisle with pointed window with 3 cusped elongated ogee headed lights, C19 geometric tracery and hood mould. Chancel rebuilt in 1843. North side of chancel with outline of 3 blocked arcade bays with hood moulds. 3 C19 windows, 2 with shallow triangular heads and 3 trefoil headed lights with geometrical tracery and hood mould. One to the left with pointed head, 3 ogee headed lights, C19 reticulated tracery, hood mould and head label stops. East end with large pointed window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, C19 reticulated tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Small blind, cusped, ogee headed opening above. South-east buttress with ornate mid C14 cusped, crocketed and finialled niche. South side with pointed C19 window to the right with 2 pointed, cusped lights, quatrefoil, hood mould and head label stops. Eaves above this bay with foliate sculptured motifs of c.1190. 2 C19 windows to left with pointed heads, each with central ogee headed light, flanked by single round headed lights, flowing tracery and hood moulds. West end of south aisle with pointed window with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, C19 flowing tracery and hood mould. South side with part of a blocked doorway to the right with fragmentary hood mould. 2 windows to the left with pointed heads, 3 cusped, ogee headed lights and C19 flowing tracery 2 similar windows beyond the gabled porch to left, the latter with small lancets in return walls. Pointed doorway with double chamfered head, semi-circular responds, hood mould and head label stops. Interior flanking stone benches and pointed double chamfered doorway with hood mould, head label stops and double plank doors. Interior 5 bay north and south arcades of c.1180 with tall round piers and semi-circular responds; pointed double chamfered heads. Chancel arch of c.1180 with semi-circular responds and pointed double chamfered head with hood mould. Windows in chancel with hood moulds and head label stops. Mid C14 sedilia restored C19 with 3 crocketed and finialled gables.Trefoiled heads beneath and ornate pinnacles. Piscina to left with ornate crocketed and finialled gable, trefoil head and damaged gables. C15 octagonal font with traceried panels and octagonal pedestal. C19 parclose screens. Early C14 sculptured fragment of robed figure. C19 reredos, altar rail, pews and choir stalls. C19 roofs supported on fine C14 stone corbels of crouching figures. 5 sided pulpit with fielded panels and plain pilasters; octagonal sounding board. Monuments include one in black and white marble to Hannah Frost, died 1831; one a white and black marble diamond to Thomas Bockington, died 1745. A white marble oval with draperies, cherub and cartouche to Wilhelmi Iaij, died 1706. Another in black and white marble with pediment to Richard Dods, died 1853.

Listing NGR: TF3888123680


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12762/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].