WOLFORD CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1146636

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: WOLFORD CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOLFORD CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146636 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 08:09:09.

Location

Statutory Address: WOLFORD CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Dunkeswell

National Grid Reference: ST 13715 05240

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DUNKESWELL WOOLFORD ST 10 NW 5/36 Wolford Chapel 22.2.55 - II Chapel belonging to Canada. 1800, built by Leiutenant General John Graves Simcoe, restored circa 1966. Local stone rubble with limestone ashlar detail; slate roof. Plan: small chapel is rectangular in plan with the entrance in the west end. Exterior: both long sides (north and south) have 2-window fronts of square-headed single light windows containing Decorated tracery. In the west end the doorway is a 2-centred arch with hoodmould and directly above is a quatrefoil oculus. There is a chamfered plinth around the building and below it, on the east, west and south sides, are a series of arch-headed niches, most of which contain slate plaques in memory of various members of the Simcoe family. The roof is gable-ended with shaped barge boards. Interior: the roof structure is hidden by a plaster segmental vault. The walls are plastered and the floor is laid with C19 tiles. Carved oak reredos in Gothic style and including painted panels of the Lords Prayer and Commandments. Beerstone ashlar altar in Gothic style. Oak altar rail on cast iron standards. The oak reading desk the pews and wainscotting incorporate a great deal of C17 carved pieces including linenfold panels, chip-carved lunettes flowers and the like. The font is Beerstone and Gothic in style. There are some probably C18 lozenge-shaped boards on the walls painted with armorial bearings. A plaque also records that in 1966 the deeds of the chapel were handed to the Prime Minister of Ontario by Sir Geoffrey Harmsworth whose family previously owned restored and maintained the chapel. It is the burial place of Leiutenant General John Graves Simcoe (1752 - 1806) who was the first Leiutenant Governor of Upper Canada, now Ontario, and was the founder of the city of York, now Toronto. The chapel is apparently built on the site of Old Wulphere Church.

Listing NGR: ST1371505240

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 86591

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing