This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List entry Number: 1146806

Location

CHURCH OF ST HELEN, HALL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West Keal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196204

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST KEAL HALL LANE TF 36 SE (east side) 5/89 Church of St.Helen 3.2.67 G.V. II* Parish church. C13, C14, C15, chancel by G. E. Street 1867, tower rebuilt 1881-4. Squared greenstone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings, squared limestone rubble, red brick patching, slate and leaded roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, vestry, south porch. Tall 3 stage tower, rebuilt 1881-4, with corner stepped buttresses, gabled, moulded plinth, string courses and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. To belfry stage are 3 light louvred openings with ogee heads to the lights, panel tracery and fleurons to the reveals and arch. Pointed west doorway with hood mould and above a 4 light window with panel tracery. To either side a single reset shield. Above an ogee headed niche and shield. The north aisle with lead roof has been extensively patched in brick. To the west a 2 light C19 window. On the north side a 3 light C19 window with flat head, and 3 C19 2 light windows in semi-circular headed brick openings. The nave is in squared greenstone with slate roof and has 5 two light clerestory pointed windows, one with original late C14 ogee headed tracery. The C19 vestry is in squared limestone rubble with north doorway and 2 light window. The limestone chancel rebuilt 1867 by Street has at the east end a stepped triple lancet with trefoil heads. In the south side a 2 light C19 plate traceried window. The south aisle, also with brick patching has in the east end a C15 3 light window with segmental head and mouchettes. On the south side are 3 leaded lights in earlier C15 segmental headed openings. Clerestory of 5 plain lights is similar to north side. Gabled squared limestone ashlar C15 porch, with angle buttresses, parapet and fleuron string course, and outsize gargoyles to sides. Tall pointed outer arch with double hollow chamfers. Inside are 3 cells of rib vault with angel corbels. C15 inner doorway with moulded and hollow chamfered arch, with fleurons and heads in the inner order. C15 wooden door. Interior. 5 bay C14 nave arcades with double chamfered arches and decorated capitals containing foliage, animals, monsters, dragons and heads. Western impost of north aisle has C13 stiff leaf carving. C19 tower arch with deeply moulded pointed arch and small responds. Stoup on south wall with small animals head in basin. Wide double chamfered chancel arch with C13 keeled responds, and C14 capitals carved with heads and C19 arch. C19 chancel with pointed doorway to vestry, aumbry with trefoil head and roundel decoration, double sedilia and piscina. The rear arch to the east window has shafted reveals and blank sexfoils between the lights. Fittings. C19 reredos with stone corbelled shelf. C19 stone chancel screen. C19 octagonal font with traceried side panels.

Listing NGR: TF3674963754

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 36749 63754

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146806 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 02:44:14.

End of official listing