PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1146947

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Apr-1984

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146947 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 00:28:28.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Sheering

National Grid Reference: TL 50852 13616

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/08/2017

TL 51 SW, 3/18

SHEERING, CHURCH LANE

Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

(formerly listed as Church of S Mary the Virgin)

20.02.67

GV

I

Parish church, late C13 to late C14, extended in C20. Flint rubble with some Roman brick, dressings of stone and clunch, and quoins of Roman brick at NW angle of nave only. Nave roofed with lead, chancel and vestry with handmade red clay tiles. Consists of chancel, late C14, nave, S porch and N vestry with chamber over, C14, W tower late C13, repaired with brickwork in C16, N aisle (and general restoration) 1901-04.

The E window is of five cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a 2-centred head, restored, with late C14 glass representing eight of the orders of angels with their names beneath, and a coronation of the virgin with two censing angels. In the N wall of the chancel, opening into the N vestry, a doorway with moulded jambs and 2-centred head; the jambs have attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the moulded label has carved head-stops; the rear arch is 3-centred and hollow-chamfered. The door is present, of plain battens with a narrow panel of carved quatrefoils, restored. Above is a trefoiled piercing with a circular label, and a kneeling recess on the N. side. In the S wall two windows of two and three cinquefoiled lights respectively under 2-centred arches with fragments of C14 glass in square heads. Between them a doorway with jambs of two chamfered orders and a restored head. The triple chancel arch is C20. The N. vestry was originally of two storeys, comprising a priests' lodging with view of the altar from the kneeling recess in the upper storey; the floor is missing. The upper N window has one cinquefoiled light and tracery in a square head with 3-centred rear arch restored internally and three iron hooks for a shutter. The lower E window, restored, retains a wrought iron casement and 4-centred rear arch. The N wall of the nave has a C20 arcade. The S wall has an embattled parapet, plastered. The two S windows are mostly C20. Between them the S doorway has moulded jambs and 2-centred arch in a square head; the jambs have each two attached shafts with moulded capitals and moulded octagonal bases; the moulded label has C20 head stops; the spandrels enclose tracery and shields. The door is divided into five vertical panels by chamfered fillets, with two long strap hinges and late C14 stock-lock. E of the door is a stoop and W of it a painted consecration cross, red with flowered ends within a circle, C14 (reported replaced by replica following fire 2010). In the W wall is a C13 arcade of three bays the middle bay forming the tower-arch, the others forming recesses; the piers are chamfered with broached and moulded stops and moulded abaci; the S respond of the S recess has a moulded capital of earlier date; the arches are 2-centred and chamfered; the middle arch is of two orders, the inner order with two moulded imposts. The tower is square, in three storeys, with a C16 brick embattled parapet. The ground storey has on three sides an arched recess similar to the tower-arch; in the W wall is a lancet window, restored externally. The second storey has a similar W window. The third storey (the bell chamber) has in each wall a late C14 window of two quatrefoiled lights and a depressed quatrefoil under a semi-circular arch, variously restored. A stair of solid oak treads rises from the ground to the first floor, enclosed by a partition of oak framing infilled with wide elm boards, with an elm door hung on strap hinges. The S porch has an outer 2-centred arch with moulded responds, each with three attached shafts with restored capitals and bases. In the E wall there is a trefoiled window under a square head, partly restored.

The nave roof is C14, of gambrel form supported on king posts and queen posts with upper knees on moulded tie beams. The chancel roof is C16, of side purlin form with wind bracing of flattened 4-centred curvature (Hewett 1982, p.127). In the chancel there is a floor slab to Margaret, wife of Richard Sayer with shield of arms, 1705, and in the nave a brass to Robert Hurste, 1583, and Anne his wife, 1573, inscription only. There are four bells, the first and third by Miles Graye, 1619, the second probably by William Wightman, 1682, the fourth probably Richard Keene, 1702. Over the S door is hung the royal coat of arms dated 1785.

Listing NGR: TL5085213616

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118247

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A , Church Carpentry A Study Based on Essex Examples, (1982), 127

End of official listing