Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147000

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1987



Ordnance survey map of FORMER WESLEYAN CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147000 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 09:35:04.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Moretonhampstead

National Park: DARTMOOR

National Grid Reference: SX 75429 86036


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


MORETONHAMPSTEAD CROSS STREET (south side) SX 7586 Moretonhampstead 8/114 Former Wesleyan Chapel - GV II

Wesleyan chapel now in use as an annexe to No. 26 (q.v.) Dated 1817, rebuilt or extensively repaired after a fire in 1866. Closed in 1976. Granite rubble, faced in stucco with incised lining to resemble ashlar. Asbestos slate roof with gabled ends and fairly deep eaves. Corners of eaves supported on small shaped wooden brackets. Plan: a rectangular auditorium parallel to road on an east-west axis with a gallery over the entrance and passageway at the east (left) end. The entrance to the chapel is reached via the passageway which gives access to a cottage and former Sunday School at rear. Single storey plus gallery. The north side is the main front facing Cross Street and has 4 tall round-headed windows with stone cills, 2 top-opening lights and glazing bars with margin panes containing stained glass. Under the eaves near centre is a plaque engraved "Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1817" in upper case with serifs and Arabic numerals. The left round-headed entrance to passageway, through to rear, with ornate wrought iron gates at front and glazed and panelled double doors at rear with margin panes. Inside passage to right, glazed double doors to chapel. Interior: the west end, liturgical east, has large pointed arch recess with nook shafts. The timber gallery has gothick panelled front. The rest of the furnishings and seating has been removed. The low-pitched roof is probably circa 1866, and has principal rafters with iron tie rods instead of collars. This non-conformist chapel is interesting for the way it overcomes a very constricted site by having the gallery over the passageway which gives access to buildings at the rear. Its conspicuous front with large arched windows is an important feature in Cross Street. Source: C Stell's draft for RCHM book on non-conformist chapels.

Listing NGR: SX7543286035


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 85049

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)

End of official listing