CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1147013

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CROSS GATE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147013 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 10:09:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CROSS GATE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland (District Authority)

Parish: Quadring

National Grid Reference: TF 22424 34101

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

QUADRING CROSS GATE LANE TF 23 SW (north side) 4/107 Church of St. Margaret 7.2.67 I Parish church. C14, C15, restored 1862 by Charles Kirk of Sleaford when the chancel was largely rebuilt. Limestone ashlar, coursed and squared limestone rubble, lead and plain tiled roofs. Western tower with spire, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch. 3 stage C15 tower with stepped corner buttresses having cusped knopped gablettes. Chamfered plinth, 3 string courses, battlemented parapet with fleuron frieze and gargoyles. Set back octagonal spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes in the principal directions. To the belfry stage 2 light ogee headed louvred openings with brattished transomes. On the 3 sides a single cusped light to the second stage. The western doorway has a 4 centred arched head with deep hollow moulding and fleuron frieze. Above a tall 3 light window with cusped heads, panel tracery and brattished transomes. On the north side an angled stair tower. The north aisle has a 3 light C15 window with cusped ogee heads to the lights and panel tracery in the west and east ends, with 3 matching windows on the north side, and a continuously moulded and pointed doorway. Plain moulded parapet to aisle. The clerestory has an embattled and cusped panelled parapet, with 8 triple lights with panel tracery. The chancel east wall rebuilt and shortened C19 with a 4 light Perpendicular window. In the south side a continuously moulded blocked C14 doorway with one label stop and a 4 light segmental headed window with cusped ogee head and brattished transom. In the east wall of the south aisle a wide 3 light late C14 window with 4 centred arched head, ogee heads to the lights, flowing tracery and brattished transom. In the south wall are 3 three light C14 windows with reticulated tracery and a matching window in the west end. The clerestory matches the north. Gabled C19 south porch with tall moulded pointed arch and single chamfered, moulded hood, triple filleted responds. Fine deeply hollow moulded and filleted inner door with richly moulded hood. Interior. C15 four bay nave arcades with continuously wave moulded outer order, and similar inner order on brattished capitals and half round shafts. Hood moulds with figured label stops. C15 tall tower arch with 2 continuously moulded outer orders and deep inner order on annular responds and half round shafts. Vaulted tower chamber with circular bell hole. Double order of continuously moulded chancel arch. Contemporary nave roof of 4 main bays, with cambered ties having pierced spandrels, queen posts and fleurons. It is supported on wall posts, on carved stone corbels alternating with wall shafts to the main bays. One tie beam is painted with the date of 1698 and the churchwardens' names, indicating the restoration date. The shafts are linked by continuous roll moulding to clerestory cill. Facetted stone panelled turret to rood loft stair with brattished top, 4 centred arch doorway with ogee finial and cusped panels over and to side. Above is the archway to the vanished rood loft. A small piscina in the north aisle. In the south aisle a large cusped piscina. C19 roof to aisles and chancel. In the west wall of the nave the scar of the former nave can be seen. Fittings. All C19 apart from the elegant C15 octagonal font with angels and inscribed panelled base and stem. Late C18 hud. Ironbound churchwardens' chest. Monuments. In the chancel north wall a marble wall plaque to Edward Brown, d.1739. Fluted Corinthian pilasters, and escutcheon. Made by Palmer. Beneath this a ledger slab depicting a priest, Richard Peresone d.1472. In the nave a tablet by Blackwell to Thomas Duckett d.l822.

Listing NGR: TF2242434102

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 198221

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing