THE OAK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147137

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: THE OAK, WIX ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OAK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147137 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 21:07:52.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OAK, WIX ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Beaumont-cum-Moze

National Grid Reference: TM 17640 25560

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEAUMONT-CUM-MOZE WIX ROAD TM 12 NE (south-west side) 3/17 The Oak

GV II

House. Early C16, altered in C18 and early C19. Timber framed, plastered and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 5-bay continuous jetty house facing E, with 2 rear stacks and an external stack at the right end. Early C19 single-storey lean-to extension to left, roofed with slate. C18 extension to rear with gambrel roof, and complex series of extensions on each side of and beyond it, mostly early C19. 2 storeys. Ground floor, one early C19 sash of 16 lights, 2 C20 casements, and door altered to C20 fixed light. First floor, 5 early C19 2-light windows each with one wrought iron casement, the saddle bars removed. Early C19 flush 6-panel door, the top 2 panels glazed. Exposed full-length jetty with 5 plain brackets in situ. Roof hipped. Jowled posts. 'Suffolk' bracing trenched inside heavy studding, mostly plastered over. Edge-halved and bridled scarfs in wallplates, the rear wallplate made up of several short lengths of timber. On the ground floor the studding of the left end and the next partition have been removed; the soffits of all the beams have been hacked back, and some are boxed in. Crownpost roof with plain crownposts and axial bracing. Early C19 features include a stair with stick balusters, a reeded fire surround to left of the axial stack, and a pine fireplace carved with the arms of Lord Nelson, now in the left ground-floor room, but removed from the right ground-floor room, an exceptional survival. A report by Harry Forrester, 1969, in the possession of the owner states that the joists are 180mm wide (not now visible), and that the original screens passage is the short bay near the right end. Further examination may confirm this, but it may be a bay for an original timber-framed chimney; there are some indications that the service bay was at the left end. Formerly called Connies Oak or Flynters. Deeds from 1642 to 1677 in Essex Record Office, D/DGh T.4. The farm was acquired by Guy's Hospital in 1725, sold to Essex County Council in 1920, and the farmhouse was sold separately in 1949.

Listing NGR: TM1764025560

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120261

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing