This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1147170

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Oakley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 120263

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT OAKLEY THE AVENUE TM 1827-1927 (east side) 7/21 Parish Church of All Saints

GV I

Parish church. C12, C14 and C18, restored in Cl9. Chancel and Nave of pebble and flint rubble with limestone dressings, W tower of septaria and red brick in English bond, S porch of red brick in Flemish bond, roofs of handmade red clay tiles. Nave C12, lengthened at unknown date, Chancel early C14, W tower late C15, rebuilt in 1766, S porch c.1800. The Chancel has an early C15 E window of 4 cinquefoiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a 4-centred head with a moulded label and headstops, and a hollow-moulded rear-arch. High in the E gable, above interior ceiling height, is a small opening with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head. In the N wall are 2 windows. The eastern is C14, restored, of one trefoiled light with hollow-chamfered jambs and 2-centred head, with a chamfered segmental-pointed rear-arch. The western window is C14, of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with a segmental-pointed head with moulded label and defaced headstops; the jambs, sill, mullions and rear-arch are hollow-moulded; the sill is carried down to form a seat; it has an old wrought iron grill. E of the windows is a blocked doorway, formerly to a vestry; it has hollow-moulded jambs with broach stops and Tudor head, enriched with carved crowns, defaced angels, heads in foliage and 2 shields of arms. Externally a fragment of C12 chevron ornament is embedded in the rubble; internally there are 2 small plain rectangular recesses, respectively E of the doorway and between the windows. In the S wall are 3 window. The eastern is C19, except for the C14 chamfered segmental-pointed rear-arch and splays, which are cut back and mitred to form a seat below; the stone seat has shallow indents, partly obscured by plaster. The middle window is C14, of one trefoiled light with recessed spandrels, chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch with moulded label, restored, and chamfered segmental-pointed rear-arch. The western window is externally similar to the window opposite, but internally is more richly moulded, and has a chamfered segmental rear-arch; the plain-chamfered sill is carried down to form a seat; the mullion is restored. Between the 2 western windows is a C14 doorway with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head, with plain timber lintel. The late C14 chancel-arch is 2-centred, of 2 chamfered orders, the outer continuous, the inner resting on semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals. The Nave has in a the N wall 3 windows. The easternmost is C14, of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with a segmental-pointed head and moulded label with defaced headstops, partly restored. The middle window is C19 except for the C14 splays and chamfered 2-centred rear-arch. The western window is of C16 brick, of three 4-centred lights in a 4-centred head, with recessed spandrels, moulded label, and shallow pointed rear-arch; it is partly restored. Between the 2 western windows is a blocked C12 window of one round-headed light; the E jamb of a similar window remains, further E. Below the blocked window is the blocked C14 N doorway with jambs and 2-centred head chamfered in 2 orders, and chamfered segmental rear-arch. At the E end of the wall is the C15 rood-stair; the lower doorway has hollow-moulded jambs and 2-centred head carved with square flowers; the upper doorway is blocked with brick and plastered over. In the S wall are 3 windows. The 2 eastern are C19 except for the C14 splays and chamfered segmental-pointed rear-arch. The western window is C14, restored, of 2 trefoiled lights with tracery in a segmental-pointed head with moulded label, decayed headstops and chamfered segmental-pointed rear-arch. E of it is the C14 S doorway, the jambs and 2-centred arch chamfered in 2 orders, with moulded label and defaced headstops. At the SW comer is a diagonal buttress of late C15 brick, with moulded offsets. The roofs of the Chancel and Nave are boarded in 7 cants, and may have been rebuilt in the Cl9. The W tower has N and S walls mainly of exposed septaria rubble, the E wall plastered, the W wall of red brick in English bond, replacing a late C15 tower. The late C15 tower-arch is 2-centred, of 2 chamfered orders on the E side; the outer order is continuous, terminating in broach stops; the inner order has moulded bases; the W side is of 5 chamfered orders. The NW and SW corners have plain pilaster strips. The bell-chamber is timber framed and weatherboarded, with slatted round-headed openings to the N, S and W. The roof is pyramidal. The S porch is plain, with a semi-elliptical outer arch. (P. Morant, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, 1768, I, 489). Fittings. There are 2 piscinae (1) in the Chancel, double, with moulded jambs, mullion and 2-centred heads under an ogee arch, the internal and external mouldings terminating in ball stops, with octofoiled drain, C14, (2) in the S wall of the Nave, with wave-moulded jambs and 2-centred head, and octofoiled drain, C14. In the S porch is a stoup with C14 trefoiled head, the remainder blocked. The C12 font, of Purbeck marble, has a tapering square bowl, each face with 5 round-headed panels, a moulded lower edge, the stem and angle-shafts renewed. There are floor-slabs in the Chancel (1) to Elizabeth (Cole) Drake, 1706, and to Rev. Richard Drake, 1738, (2) to Rev. John Townson, 1802, both in black marble, and in the Nave (3) to Sara, daughter of Thomas Savell, 1619, in white marble. There are indents in the Chancel, partly covered by the altar-base, (1) of a figure of a woman under a canopy, with 3 shields and marginal inscription, C15, (2) of a foliated cross, enclosing a shield, and marginal inscription, late C14, and 2 others, indistinct. In the SW window of the Chancel are fragments of late C14 glass, mainly tabernacle work. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TM1878227318

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768)

National Grid Reference: TM 18782 27318

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147170 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:08:15.

End of official listing