Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147251.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:32:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Ribble Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 60871 41961



4/71 Old Vicarage 13.2.67


House, 1668 with earlier, possibly C16th, remains. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof at the front and slate roof at the rear. Now a central- entry plan with end stacks and single-storey porch. 2 storeys. Windows double-chamfered with mullions. To the left of the porch is one of 4 lights with a hood, with a similar one to the right of the porch. On the 1st floor is a 4-light window to the left, a 2-light window near the middle and reconstructed 2-light window to the right. The porch has a stone slate roof with finial. Some of its stone has C19th tooling, but the wide chamfered outer doorway has a lintel with a false 4-centred arch. The inner chamfer doorway has '1668' incised on the lintel. The right-hand (east) gable has 2 one-light blocked chamfered windows on the 1st floor. The rear wall also has double-chamfered mullioned windows, with hoods to those on the ground floor. To the right is one formerly of 4 lights, now with 2 mullions. Towards the middle is one of 2 lights, with a modern extension to the left. On the 1st floor are 2 2-light windows with a 4-light window to the right. Interior. The front door opens into a lobby with a reconstructed spiral stone stair. The internal walls are timber-framed, with chamfered wooden doorways with triangular heads opening from the lobby to left and right. The right-hand front room has a moulded shouldered stone fireplace with cornice mantel and a lintel having moulded panels and a fluted false keystone. The left-hand room has a projecting chimney breast and a modern fireplace. On the 1st floor the left-hand partition wall has herringbone bracing to the studs, with a king post rising from the tie, visible in the attic, and also having herringbone bracing. The right-hand truss has raking queen struts. Against the front wall the tie beam is braced downwards to a jowled post, just visible above the stair. This suggests the possibility that the house was once timber-framed and later encased in stone. Until 1811 the house was Chipping vicarage. John Wesley stayed there, and in 1753 preached after being prevented from speaking in the church.

Listing NGR: SD6087141961


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/02858/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].