CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1147293

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147293 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 00:24:06.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Great Hallingbury

National Grid Reference: TL 51137 19600

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL51NW GREAT HALLINGBURY CHURCH ROAD

5/16 Church of St. Giles

20.2.67 II*

Much rebuilt and remodelled by G.E. Pritchett in 1874 but with fine late C11 Chancel Arch and west window and C14 west tower. The tower 10 1/2 ft. square,built of flint rubble and clunch with Barnack stone dressings is of 3 stages with thin diagonal buttresses, crenellated parapet and S.E. stair turret. The octagonal shingle spire is of 1873. All other external walls, including the porch are of matching materials and are mainly Victorian. The roofs are plain red tiles. Internally the main feature is the complete early Norman chancel arch built entirely of Roman bricks with the inposts of unmoulded stepped bricks. The rare Piscina which apparently served the rood loft is high up to the right of the arch. The Victorian arcade is of circular piers with richly carved foliage capitals. There is a late C11 window in the S.W. wall of Roman brick. The S. doorway has a moulded two centre arch in a square head with a moulded label, traceried spandrels and blank shields (RCHM2).

Listing NGR: TL5113719600

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120464

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

End of official listing