This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1147340

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, ST LAWRENCE HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Lawrence

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 119269

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 90 SE ST. LAWRENCE ST. LAWRENCE HILL 5/110 Church of St. Lawrence

II

Parish church. Rebuilt 1878 by Robert Wheeler of Tunbridge Wells. , with some material from old church. Kentish rag, red plain tiled roofs, scalloped ridge tiles. Stone parapet verges, tiled and shingled steeple. Nave, Chancel, gabled north porch and lean-to south vestry. Hould,ed plinth, band below windows, buttresses to angles. East window of 3 trefoiled lights, tracery over, 2 centre arched head, label over, west window similar but of 4 lights with cusped circle to apex. Two 2 light windows with quatrefoils over to Nave south wall, one similar window to north wall with different tracery. 2 cusped single light windows to Chancel north wall and one similar to south wall. Lean-to vestry to Chancel south wall with 2 light window to east wall and vertically boarded door to south wall. Gabled north porch with parapet, moulded 2 centre arched doorway, vertically boarded door with ornate strap hinges. Interior. Chancel vaulted and ceiled roof, simple wall plate. Chamfered 2 centre arched doorway to south vestry. Stone 4 panelled reredos inscribed with Creed, Lord's Prayer etc. Wrought iron columns to altar rail. Chamfered 2 centred Chancel arch. Nave. Double side purlin roof. Bolted moulded arched braces to lower collars. Stop chamfered armless crown posts to upper collars. Timber octagonal pulpit, chamfered stone base and steps. Moulded band carries through Nave and Chancel. C19 octagonal font, moulded and chamfered rim, moulded soffit nail head decoration to angles, twisted stone central column, 4 black and red marble angle columns on composite moulded base, carved octagonal timber cover, the tails of 4 dolphins supporting the Ark and Dove. Probable C14 piscina moulded and chamfered 2 centre arched head, round drain. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL9669604332

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

National Grid Reference: TL 96696 04332

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147340 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 10:04:42.

End of official listing