STUKELEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1147402

Date first listed: 22-May-1954

Statutory Address: STUKELEY HOUSE, 9, BARN HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of STUKELEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147402 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 18:26:40.

Location

Statutory Address: STUKELEY HOUSE, 9, BARN HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Stamford

National Grid Reference: TF 02773 07259

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1671 BARN HILL (East Side) No 9 (Stukeley House) TF 0207 1/31 22.5.54. II* GV 2. Mid C18 house of 2 storeys and attics in ashlar. Mansard roof of stone slates with 3 cambered dormers. Plinth. 3 windows with ui+usual treatment. The outer ones have a central hung sash with single side lights under a cambered head. fliw jambs consist of small pilasters. Centre window of a single liglt, cambered head. Those on the ground floor have narrow rusticated frames, and arch to centre one. Projecting porch with 2 columns in Greek Doric of early C19 date. Door of 6 panels, 2 glass, with reeded ingoes and a small segmental glazed fanlight. 3 steps. Inset foot scraper. This house is said to be the site of the residence of William Stukeley, the antiquary, while he was Vicar of All Saints, Stamford, in the early Cl8. It stands on the site of an earlier house from which Charles I escaped in disguise prior to his capture in 1646. House designed by George Portwood, Stamford's leading architect, in 1741. (pevsner).

Garage premises to No 9A,9A,9,10, Sunday School and Nos 12 to 17 (consec) together with Nos 1 to 8 (consec), All Saints' Place form a group.

Listing NGR: TF0277307259

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 193474

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964)

End of official listing