CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1147458
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147458.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:11:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Navenby
National Grid Reference:
SK 98650 57843

Details

NAVENBY CHURCH LANE SK 95 NE (north side)

1/26 Church of St Peter

23.8.67

- I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, mid C18, restored 1875-6 and C20 addition. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate nave and chancel roofs and lead aisle roofs with ashlar coped gables with kneelers and cross finials. Double moulded plinth to chancel and small plinth to remainder of building. All openings have hood moulds and label stops. West tower, nave and aisles, and south porch chancel and north vestry. The tower rebuilt in mid C18, has 2 clasping buttresses with set-offs, 3 stages with stage bands. The west face has a single 3-light reticulated tracery, pointed arched window. made up of medieval fragments, the third stage has 4 small pointed arched bell openings. The tower is tapped with stepped battlements and 8 pinnacles. There is a stair turret attached to the south east corner. The north aisle has a 3-light reticulated tracery pointed arched west window. The north wall has a low pointed arched doorway to the west and 2 flat headed 2-light panel tracery windows to the east between buttresses. There is a 2-light reticu- lated tracery pointed arched east window. The clerestory has 5, three light panel tracery windows to each side, all in deeply recessed and concave cham- fered segment arches. The chancel north wall has 2 large recessed and cham- fered 3-light reticulated tracery pointed arched windows, the eastern bay has a projecting C19 vestry with a small 2-light flat headed panel tracery window to the north and a 2-light flowing tracery pointed arched window to the east. The east end of the chancel has tall gabled angle buttresses and a large 6- light recessed and chamfered pointed arch window with major mullions and exceptionally fine reticulated tracery. The chancel south wall has 2 large recessed and chamfered 3-light reticulated tracery pointed arched windows. The south aisle has been extended this century by a single bay to the east to take the organ, and the east and south east windows are C20, though matching the other 2 south aisle windows which are 3-light with intersecting tracery and pointed arches. The south porch has a stone coped gable with cross finial and gabled angle buttresses. The archway has a double chamfered moulded pointed arch with triple keeledshaft responds. Stone benches and a C19 double chamfered pointed arched doorway with plain C19 door. The south aisle west window has a 3-light pointed arch with ogee headed lights and a very unusual tracery made up of medieval fragments. INTERIOR: 3-bay arcades, the north has a large western double chamfered pointed arch with diagonally set quatrefoil pier then 2 narrower similar arches to the east with a keeled quatrefoil pier and respond. The south arcade has 2 similar piers and double chamfered pointed arches and a circular western respond. The lower arch has a double chamfered pointed arch with circular responds, and the chancel arch is similar though much broader and higher, with the rood stair in the north pier and a corbel of a lady wearing a wimple to the south. The chancel has an elaborate triple ogee arched piscina with vaulting, double basins and crocketed finials and pinnacles. On the north wall are equally elaborate founders tomb and easter sepulchre either side of the C19 vestry door. The tomb has a large shallow arch with crocketed finials and pinnacles, the similarly decorated, small ogee arched sepulchre has 3 fine Roman soldiers in the lower panel and pairs of finely draped figures in the spandrels. C19 wooden roofs, those in the aisles with stenciling. C19 wooden pews, choir stalls and screen with rood arch and figures. C17 wooden pulpit, a C19 brass lecturn and a medieval font basin. Below the tower is the baptistery with a lavish font design by Charles Kirk which was shown at the 1862 London Exhibition, the walls, dado and ceiling also stenciled. Wall tablet to Walter Leightonhouse 1760 with cherubs heads and coat of arms. Late C13 slab inscribed 'Pray for Richard de Lue'. Royal coat of arms over tower arch inscribed, 'Painted by Thomas Hunton of Lincoln for Anthony Fountain 1710'.

Listing NGR: SK9865257840

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192464
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jan 2007
Reference: IOE01/14869/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].