CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1147497

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147497 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 19:51:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Brant Broughton and Stragglethorpe

National Grid Reference: SK 91544 53899

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRANT BROUGHTON AND STRAGGLETHORPE CHURCH WALK SK 95 SW (east side) 6/22 Church of St Helen 23.8.67 I GV Parish church. C11, C13, late C14 and early C16. 1812. 1873-76 restored and altered by G F Bodley for Canon Frederick Sutton. He rebuilt the early C19 chancel and added the vestry and north chapel all in a late decorated style. West steeple and nave with aisles and porches. chancel with north chapel and vestry. Limestone ashlar with lead roofs. Angle gabled buttresses with set-offs and heavily moulded plinth throughout. Battlements to nave and aisles decorated with shields, and a quatrefoil carved parapet to chancel, all with crocketed pinnacles and gargoyles. All openings have hood moulds with head label stops. Tower, first stage has a 3 light window with geometric tracery to the west. The second stage has a single lancet to each face. The third stage has deeply recessed 2 light bell openings with reticulated tracery, and a clock added 1881 by William Potts of Leeds. Above a fleuron frieze with gargoyles topped with alternating stages of lucarnes rises to 198 feet in height. The west aisle windows are 2 light with plate tracery. The early C16, 5 bay clerestory with moulded hood band has 3 light cusped panel tracery windows in 4 centred arched cavetto chamfered surrounds. The late C14, 4 bay north aisle has 3, 3 light ornate cusped panel tracery windows in cavetto chamfered surrounds with fleuron. The buttresses have niches. The gabled porch has an openwork quatrefoil parapet and head frieze with a niche above a columned arch, recessed within a chamfered surround. Inside stone benches and a 2 bay sexpartite vault supported on leaf bracket and with carved bosses. The door is within a double cusp chamfered pointed arch. The 2 bay north chapel has 3 light windows, copies of those in the north aisle. The chancel east window is 5 light with reticulated tracery, and the 3 south windows are 4 light with flowing tracery. The 4, bay south aisle lids 3 windows similar to those in the north aisle, though here under segment Birches. The south porch is also similar to that on the north though plainer. '[t.iturior has 3 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches on tall octangonal piers and responds with moulded capitals and bases. The roof line of the earlier nave is visible above the tall tower arch which like the chancel arch has compound piers. Carefully restored early C16 angel nave roof, elaborately painted. Ornate C15 octagonal font with elaborate cover by T Garner 1889. Choirstalls pulpit and chancel screen by Bodley, 1890 with roof of 1919. Chancel has wood and plaster lierne vault, also elaborately painted. Elaborate marble reredos incorporating late C15 German 'Ascension'. Piscina and triple arched sedilia. Organ designed by Canon Sutton with cover by Bodley of 1906. Stained glass throughout designed by Canon sutton, who also designed brass candlesticks and candelabra, except for the east windows by Burlison and Grylls. Recon- structed monument to Danbrey family in north chapel, a tomb chest with shields in quatrefoils.

Listing NGR: SK9154053897

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 192373

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing