CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147539.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 15:38:48.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rochford (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 89688 94541
CANEWDON HIGH STREET
TQ 89 SE
6/71 Church of St. Nicholas
Parish Church. C14 nave, chancel and north aisle. Early C15 west tower, south
porch and the south wall of the nave rebuilt. Later C20 alterations,
restorations and rebuilding. The north vestry was demolished C18. Ragstone
rubble with some septaria and flint, limestone dressings, mainly red plain tile
roofs, lead to north aisle. Chancel, east wall buttressed at angles. C19
window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, low transom, moulded segmental head and label.
Ornate brackets to gable. North wall, C19/C20 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights,
2-centred arch, moulded label, to east of this window is part of a blocked
doorway and adjacent to the buttress the toothing of the former vestry is
visible. South wall, centre buttress, eastern restored window of 2 cinquefoiled
lights, moulded segmental head, western window similar but with lights below a
transom, between the windows is a blocked C14 doorway, moulded 2-centred arch,
remains of a stopped label. Nave:- South wall:- Angle and eastern buttresses.
3 restored C15 windows of three 2-centred lights, vertical tracery over under
moulded 2 centre heads with labels and head stops, tracery to western window
more elaborate. Early C15 south porch, crenellations with flint chequerwork and
crosses to merlons, moulded band under. Angle buttresses, band below windows,
plinth. South and east walls each with a window of 2 cinquefoiled lights,
square heads, moulded labels. Outer archway, moulded and shafted jambs,
2-centred arch under a square head, defaced label, quatrefoils and daggers to
spandrels. Nave, south doorway, early C16, moulded jambs, 2-centred arch under
a square head, moulded label, traceried spandrels enclosing blank shields. C15
door of overlapping battens with trellis framing and strap hinges. North aisle
has angle and 2 inner buttresses. 4 windows, the western of 2 cinquefoiled
lights under a square head with label. The 2 central windows of 3 cinquefoiled
lights, vertical tracery over, 2-centred heads and labels, the eastern of 3
cinquefoiled pointed lights under a 2-centred head. C15 north doorway, moulded
jambs and 2-centred arch. The west tower is a good example of its period,
buttressed almost to crenellations. Plinth and 3 bands. Of 4 stages,
crenellations with flint chequerwork and crosses to merlons. A window to each
face of bell chamber of 2 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery, square heads
and labels. Third stage with a small trefoiled window and worn labels to north,
south and east faces, west face window of 2 cinquefoil lights with tracery,
2-centred head. Second stage west window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical
tracery over, 2-centred head. Below the window are 3 worn panels containing
shields of arms. West doorway, moulded jambs and 2-centred arch under a square
head, moulded label, traceried spandrels, C15 nailed board and muntin door.
Flanking the door are niches with moulded jambs, cinquefoiled heads and moulded
square labels. In the north and south west buttresses are 2 niches with
trefoiled ogee heads. Interior. Chancel. C19 roof of 4 bays, arched braces to
collars rest on corbels. King posts and uprights are supported by the collars.
Moulded wall plates. C19 stained glass to east window. Red tiled Sanctuary
floor. Wrought and cast iron altar rail posts with wooden top rail. Partly
blocked low cill to south east window. Piscina. Cinquefoiled and moulded
2-centred arch, moulded square head. Sedilia. C19 ogee head and moulded label,
hollow chamfered jambs. C15 wall monument between south eastern windows, 3
vertical panelled shafts and a plaque, original red, green and gold paint.
South wall, wall memorials, Jermiah Kirsteman 1822 and Elizabeth Kirsteman 1855.
Also Jeremiah Kirsteman 1789 and an oval plaque to Mary Kirsteman 1801. 4
plaques to north wall. Mr. George Walker M.A. who built the Vicarage House,
Canewdon 1738. Rev. William Atkinson 1847. Thos. Atkinson 1867. North
doorway, blocked 2-centred arch. Chancel arch C19 chamfered 2-centred arch
resting on semi-octagonal shafts. Moulded capitals and bases. Nave:- Pulpit
C17/C18, hexagonal, wooden carved and panelled sides and carved and moulded
cornice, cherub heads, swags of fruit and foliage, pendant foliage at angles.
Roof 7 cants of 4 and a half bays, crenellated wall plate. 4 armed cross
quadrate crown posts, base of one carved RHTD 1698 the date of some repair.
Hatchment above south doorway. C17 panelled chest. Octagonal font, chamfered
round headed arches to each face of bowl and stem, moulded base. South wall
memorial to Mary Dearsley aged 17, 11 January 1773. The west tower was used as
a look-out post during the 1914-18 War and the flag of the R.F.C. who were
stationed here is displayed on the south wall with a second World War Royal
Artillary flag. North arcade of 4 bays, chamfered 2-centred arches, moulded
capitals and bases to octagonal columns, above the arches are carved gargoyle
and defaced angels holding shields of arms. South aisle. Square red brick
floor. C19 pews, shields of arms to ends of the pair adjacent to south door.
North aisle:- Red brick floor. 7 bay lean-to roof, stop chamfered principal
rafters. Square font formerly at Shopland Church, interlocking round headed
arches with moulded capitals and bases to columns to east face, 3 trefoiled
arches with moulded capitals and bases, roses above columns to south face, 2 and
3 incised fleur-de-lis to the other faces respectively, stem of central and
angle columns with moulded capitals aid bases, moulded base. Hatchments to
north and west walls. Original altar slab with a cross at each corner and part
of a centre cross now supporting an altar table second World War memorial.
English Chamber Organ, its case C19 but many C18 pipes. Niches in east wall,
(1) cinquefoiled round head, painted St. Nicholas, (2) cinquefoiled head,
painted stars. Piscina, moulded jambs, trefoiled head, quatrefoil drain. Small
niche to south wall of chapel. 2-centred West Tower arch of 4 orders, the 3
inner chamfered, the inner 2 rest on attached shafts with moulded capitals and
bases. Stop chamfered 2-centred arch to stair turret doorway, vertically
boarded door. C15 ceiling to first stage, heavy chamfered arched braces rest on
stone corbels and cross in the centre, boss at intersection now missing, moulded
wall posts, wall and ceiling struts to each brace. Said to be 5 bells, (1) 1678
by John and Christopher Hodson, (3) 1634 by Miles Graye, (5) by John Waylett
1707. C15 bell chamber door of overlapping battens. RCHM 2.
Listing NGR: TQ8968894541
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing