CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147611

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHAPEL GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147611 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 05:29:06.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHAPEL GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland (District Authority)

Parish: Whaplode

National Grid Reference: TF 32012 13507

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHAPLODE CHAPEL GATE TF 31 SW (west side) Whaplode Drove

13/133 Church of St.John the Baptist

II

Church. 1821, altered 1907-8.Designed by Jeptha Pacey and Swansborough. Red brick, some ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped gables with cross finial to east, and dentillated eaves. West porch, nave with west bellcote, chancel with north vestry. Plinth and regularly placed giant order pilasters with moulded capitals and bases, run round entire church. Pedimented west porch with ashlar dressed keyed oculus to west. South doorway with ashlar dressed semi-circular headed doorcase with moulded head with keystone and impost blocks, fanlight with radiating spokes and panelled door. Modillioned brick nave pediment above with oculus with radiating spokes. Copper covered tall rectangular bellcote with rectangular openings on all 4 sides, with scalloped band and moulded cornice, lead cupola above with finial and weather vane. North side with 3 semi-circular headed windows. Vestry of 1907 projects to east with small north coal hole opening. Window to east with stone lintel. Chancel of 1907 with large ashlar keyed oculus to east. Dentillated brick pediment above. South side of chancel with single semi-circular headed window. Corbel table and parapet above. South side of nave with 3 semi-circular headed windows. Roman altar of limestone propped up in porch. Inner west doorway with fanlight with radiating spokes and panelled door. C20 west gallery. Semi-circular chancel arch with moulded keystone and impost blocks. Late C19 pews. Ornate C19 screen and communion rail. Monument in grey and white marble to John Kelk, died 1795. Black and white marble monument with urn, to John Dinham, died 1811. White marble monument with urn and draperies, to William Moore, died 1838.

Listing NGR: TF3201213507

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 198095

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing