CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, ST THOMAS AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1147648
Date first listed:
13-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, ST THOMAS AND ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, ST THOMAS AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147648 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:48:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, ST THOMAS AND ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Rochford (District Authority)
Parish:
Foulness
National Grid Reference:
TR 00396 93206

Details

FOULNESS CHURCH END TR 09 SW 9/98 Church of St. Mary the Virgin, St. Thomas and All Saints GV II Parish Church. Circa 1853. William Hambley. On the site of a Chapel re-established by Lady Joan de Bohun 1386 and a later timber framed church. Kentish ragstone. Stone dressings. 3 steeply pitched grey slate roofs, gabled to east and west. South tower with porch. Chancel, nave and aisles and north vestry. Early English style. Buttresses to all angles and between windows. East face 1:1:1 windows chamfered 2-centred heads. Labels with real and stylised heads to all nave windows. Chancel window of 3 graduated lights, there is also a similar window high up in the north aisle wall. Plinth. Bench mark to southern buttress. Cross to Chancel apex. South face. 1:3:2 similar windows and labels, plinth carries through. The south tower with finial to octagonal shingle spire is hipped at the base. Tower of 3 orders, angle buttresses to 2 stages, corbel table to belfry which has angle pilasters and lancet sounding louvres to each face. Second stage, quatrefoiled roundels to east and west faces, band below. Curved triangular recess with circular window to south face, band below. Chamfered 2-centred arch to doorway, moulded label with King and Queen stops, vertically boarded door with ornate hinges. Original iron lantern over doorway. Small lancet windows to side walls. West face. 1:1:1 similar windows with labels, that to Nave of 2 lights with quatrefoil over, pointed elliptical window to apex, band and plinth carried through, stone parapet verges. North face 1:0:4 similar windows, north doorway, 2-centred head, chamfered of 2 orders, label with king and queen head stops, pediment over, vertically boarded door, 2 ornate strap hinges. North vestry doorway Caernarvon head, vertically boarded door. Interior. South doorway, simple chamfered 2-centred arch, vertically boarded door, ornate strap hinges. Aisles, roofs, side purlin ridge board construction, intermittant collars and ashlar posts. Nave and chancel roofs, double side purlins, ridge boards and ashlar post, intermittant collars, wall posts on corbels, stop chamfered pincipals, moulded wall plates. Stone flag floors throughout excepting coloured tiles to Sanctuary. Chancel, C19 stained glass to north and south windows. Wooden panelled reredos, side panels with wheat and vine motifs, 4 Evangelists to centre panels in poker work. Square head to north vestry doorway. Moulded wooden altar rails. Simple 2 centred Chancel arch. North and south arcades of 5 bays, moulded capitals and bases to alternate round and octagonal columns and responds. Octagonal panelled pulpit, moulded cornice and soffit, braces to soffit, chamfered balusters to steps. Painted organ case with trefoiled roundels, a plaque states the organ won a gold medal 1866 at an exhibition, it was purchased from North Ockendon, Essex, Church 10 March 1908. Wooden eagle lectern 1930. Wall memorial to Rt. Hon. George Henry Finch, Earl of Winchelsea, MP for Rutland for 40 years, May 1907. Panelled box pews, complete with gates. Simple round bowl to font, octagonal soffit and stem, moulded base, carved wooden lid. Bequest board, Rev. Thos. Ellwood, 1815, bequeathed the interest of £100 twice a year to the poor. Trinity House donated money for the building of this Church with the provision that the steeple be high enough to act as a landmark for navigation. Pevsner, Essex 1976.

Listing NGR: TR0039693206

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
123123
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Essex, (1954)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].