SPICELAND MEETING AND CARETAKER'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1147652

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 04-May-1966

Statutory Address: SPICELAND MEETING AND CARETAKER'S HOUSE, UFFCULME, EX15 3AZ

Map

Ordnance survey map of SPICELAND MEETING AND CARETAKER'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 01:40:16.

Location

Statutory Address: SPICELAND MEETING AND CARETAKER'S HOUSE, UFFCULME, EX15 3AZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Culmstock

National Grid Reference: ST 08315 14055

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/12/2016

ST 01 SE, 9/43

CULMSTOCK, Spiceland meeting and caretaker's house

05.04.66

II*

Friends meeting house with caretaker's accommodation. A late C17 meeting house was completely rebuilt in 1815 according to the date plaque, and another plaque records "Daniel Henson, builder 1815". Local stone rubble with brick dressing; stone rubble stack with brick chimney shaft, slate roof. PLAN: the building faces south-south-east, say south. The main part to right (east) is the large meeting house with the left end occupied by the small meeting house and cloakroom with gallery over. There is a stack in the left (east) end heating the small meeting house and the small lean-to extension which forms part of caretaker's cottage. EXTERIOR: the 4-bay front of the main block contains the doorway, left of centre between 3 full height round-arched windows containing sash windows with margin panes and top radial glazing bars. (There is another similar in the east end). The doorway has a segmental head and contains double fielded-panel doors. Above it is the date plaque inscribed "Built in 1670, rebuilt in 1815". The roof is hipped both ends. The lean-to extension has C20 door and C20 casements with glazing bars. Good INTERIOR: the principal division is that between the large and small meeting houses, and it is made up of fielded panelling including vertically sliding shutters. All the joinery detail including the doors with wooden catches, the small meeting house chimneypiece, the original furniture, the rostrum etc. is all of unpainted pine; the effect of this with whitewashed walls is simple and peaceful. Roof of C19 king-post trusses.

This Friends Meeting House is complete with all its original (1815) fittings. Stell regards it as "an outstanding specimen of its kind".

Listing NGR: ST0831514055

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 95893

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)

End of official listing