PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1147716

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147716 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 03:11:39.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

National Grid Reference: TM 17929 22294

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THORPE-LE-SOKEN HIGH STREET TM 1622-1722 (south-west side) 8/92 Parish Church of St. Michael

GV II*

Parish church. C15 and C16, partly rebuilt in 1875 by William White. W tower and N porch of red brick in English bond (the latter faced externally with uncoursed rubble), the remainder of stone rubble, uncoursed externally, with dressings of limestone and red sandstone, roofed with red clay tiles and lead. Chancel, Nave, N chapel, S chapel and S aisle 1875 retaining a tomb recess in the Chancel and part of the roof of the Nave. N aisle C15, restored in 1875. N porch c.1500, refaced externally in 1875. W tower c.1500. The major restoration of 1875 has retained some original fabric and features, particularly in the N aisle and the N porch, and the whole of the W tower except the parapet. The Chancel has in the S wall an arch with cinquefoiled and sub-cusped ogee head, the spandrels carved with foliage, a moulded label with a thick band of naturalistic foliate crocketing, and on each side a diapered buttress carried up with crocketed square finials, mainly early C14, with minor restoration. In it is a stone effigy in mail with surcoat, remains of shield and sword, legs originally crossed but missing below the knee, feet on lion couchant, C13. The roof of the Nave is partly C15, restored in 1875, in 5 bays of single hammer-beam construction. It has been boarded to form a barrel-vault, but leaving exposed the chamfered arched braces of the original structure, with some renewal. In the N aisle the C15 fabric seems to have been retained, refaced externally and re-fenestrated in 1875, following the earlier pattern, significantly different from the windows of the parts rebuilt in 1875. W of the N door is a small doorway to a stair to the muniments room over the N porch, c.1500, having a timber frame with chamfered jambs and mason-mitred square head, and a plain boarded door with re-used C13 hinges with incised zigzag pattern, octofoiled scutcheon plate and twisted ring handle. The C15 lean-to roof of the N aisle is in 5 bays, with moulded principal rafters, moulded rafters at half-bay intervals, and moulded butt-purlins, supported on moulded wall-pieces and carved brackets (some replaced in 1875); the common rafters are of horizontal section, some hollow-chamfered, some plain-chamfered with step stops. At the E end of the N aisle is a late C15 timber screen of 3 bays and double entrance bay. One bay is missing; it has been moved in 1826 and 1875. Each bay has a trefoiled ogee head, with moulded mullions and head-beam and carved cresting. The coving below the cresting is carved in relief with 5 half-angels (the faces destroyed) holding 3 shields, respectively with chalice and host, crossed keys and crossed swords, and a scroll with the inscription in black letter "This cost is the bachelers made by ales Jhesu be ther med'. The 2-storey N porch and the newel stair to the upper room are of -brick, c.1500, refaced externally with uncoursed rubble, painted internally; the floor has a moulded axial beam and chamfered joists of horizontal section with plain stops; the low-pitched roof is of cranked plain joists of square section. The W tower, c.1500, is of 3 stages, with a moulded plinth, and a splayed stair-turret in the S wall. The E and W walls and the diagonal buttresses have an overall diaper pattern in blue flared headers; the N wall has a pattern mainly of chevrons and some diaper work, and the S wall has a single large saltire cross. The 2-centred tower-arch is of 5 chamfered orders on the E side, 4 chamfered orders on the W side, with plain plastered responds. The W window has a 2-centred arch of brick; the remainder of it was being rebuilt at the time of survey, July 1985. In the second stage are N and W brick windows of one 4-centred light with a moulded label. The bell-chamber has in each wall a partly restored brick window of 2 round-headed lights with a quatrefoil in a 4-centred head with a moulded label. The W doorway has splayed brick jambs and a 2-centred arch of 3 moulded orders with a moulded label. The stair-turret is lit by one stone quatrefoil, another restored, and a cruciform brick loop. The floor of the second stage is original, of chamfered beams framed round a bellway, with plain joists of horizontal section. The font has an octagonal bowl, each face with a plain shield in a star-shaped panel, and a panelled and cusped octagonal stem, C15, on a moulded base with spur ornaments, C12. On the N wall of the Chancel are tablets (1) to Stephen Martin Leake and Fletcher Powell, 1773, (2) to Stephen Martin Leake the son, 1797, and (3) to Mary (Calvert) 'Leake, 1821, and John Martin Leake, 1836. In the N aisle are floor-slabs (1) to Elizabeth (Leake) Wyatt, 1731, and (2) to Sarah Rofe, 1755, and William Rofe, 1791. On the S wall of the tower is a slate tablet to Thomas Wharton, 1669, and Elizabeth his wife, and an alabaster achievement of arms. There are 5 bells, the third by Warner and Bentfield, 1819, the fourth by Thomas Mears, 1843, and the fifth by Charles Newman, 1688. The alterations to the church are considered in detail, with a photograph from the SE taken before 1875, in E.A. Wood, A History of Thorpe-le-Soken to the year 1890, 1975). RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TM1792922294

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120321

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wood, E A , A History of Thorpe le Soken to the Year 1890, (1975)

End of official listing