CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1147754
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147754 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:56:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Boston (District Authority)
Parish:
Old Leake
National Grid Reference:
TF 40744 50281

Details

TF 45 SW OLD LEAKE CHURCH ROAD (west side)

3/99 Church of St. Mary 26.1.67 G.V. I

Parish church. C12, late C13, C14, C15, 1490-1547, C18, 1873-5, chancel restored by Temple Moore. Ashlar and coursed squared limestone rubble and red brick. Lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, north and south porches. Tower, 1490-1547, ashlar, moulded plinth, 4 chamfered string courses, embattled parapet, stepped corner buttresses. To belfry stage are 3 light panel tracery windows in pointed hollow chamfered surrounds. To fourth stage are smaller similar 2 light windows on south and west sides only. On the third stage are single to the south side and a pair to the west of tail panelled niches with shields, quatrefoils and canopied tops. The west doorway is continuously moulded with deep hollow chamfers and hood. The 2 leaf door has panel tracery to the upper parts and a 4 centred wicket. The window above is of 5 lights, tall with panel tracery. C14 north aisle with gabled corner buttresses. To the west a 3 light window with trefoil heads, and in the north 3 pointed reticulated windows, one similar but with rectangular frame, and a 3 light panel traceried window with musician stops, including a bagpipe. To the east a 3 light reticulated window. Elaborate clerestory of 6 two light windows having alternating flowing tracery with mouchettes and panel traceried lights. Between the windows are niches matching those on the tower and terminating in gablettes, the plain parapet has a cornice, carved in a variety of heads and figures. C18 gabled north porch in brick and plain tiles, has a C14 moulded outer arch, with annular imposts. Continuously moulded C14 inner doorway. C14 chancel has openwork wave moulded parapet. 2 tall 3 light and 2 shorter 3 light windows in original openings, restored tracery. Small doorway with hood mould. 4 light C19 east window. The south side is as the north, without the door. Clerestory matches north side. The south aisle has 3 late C13 Y tracery 3 light windows, 2 reticulated windows, a single panel traceried window and a 3 light C16 window with triangular head. The gabled brick porch with plain tiled roof is C18 with double chamfered outer arch and to the gable a C18 slate sundial with segmental pediment. In the sides are small triangular lights occupying ogee window heads. Interior. 6 bay C14 nave arcades, filleted quatrefoil pillars, annular capitals, double chamfered arches, with hoods and human head stops. C12 half round east and west responds with scalloped capitals and square abaci. Tall late C15 tower arch with hollow chamfered octagonal imposts. C14 chancel arch, circular imposts with fleurons, wave moulded head. Door to rood loft on south side. In the south aisle 2 cusped ogee niches to the east, with pinnacles. In the north aisle an aumbry, and stairs to rood loft. C14 crown post roof. In the chancel a C14 triple sedilia with piscina beyond. Cusped heads and crocketed gablettes. C19 tiled floor and reredos, with ashlar pillars and frieze. Fittings. Early C18 panelled octagonal pulpit with Ionic pilasters and pulvinated cornice, octagonal tester with entasia star. C15 octagonal alms box on ashlar base, made from hollowed out tree trunk. C18 font with swept octagonal bowl and base, on 2 steps. Monuments. C16 alabaster effigy of a knight in plate armour, lying in C14 tomb recess, continuously moulded, hacked off hood.

Listing NGR: TF4074450281

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192016
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02254/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].