CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1147772
Date first listed:
14-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147772.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:42:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Greetham with Somersby
National Grid Reference:
TF 34364 72659

Details

SOMERSBY CHURCH LANE TF 37 SW Somersby (north side)

2/69 Church of 14.9.66 St. Margaret

G.V. II*

Parish church. C15, restored 1865. Dressed greenstone, some brick patching. Slate roofs. Decorative ridge. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave, east chancel and porch. Buttressed nave set on a plinth with heavy chamfered band over, tower on a low plinth with moulded band over and chancel on a low plinth. Tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Diagonal buttressed single stage restored C15 tower with brick parapet and single corner finials. The west side with single arched 2 light window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops, 6 tie plates. The north side has 4 tie plates and the south side 2 tie plates. South and north sides with single arched bell 1 chamber openings. The north nave has a moulded arched blocked doorway with hood mould and label stops. To the left is a single restored C15 3 light window with cusped lights, hood mould and label stops. The north chancel has a single C19 triangular arched 2 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The east end has a single similar larger 3 light window with hood mould and label stops. The south nave has a single arched C15 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The gabled porch on a chamfered plinth with moulded arched entrance and sundial over dated 1751. Inner moulded arched doorway with hood mould and label stops, the the right is a stoup. To the left is a single C15 arched and cusped light under a flat arch. Interior. Double chamfered tower arch, chamfering to arch only. Off-centre double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order supported on octagonal responds with moulded capitals. Plain octagonal ashlar font. South chancel with brass to George Littlebury, 1612, of a kneeling male figure with shield. Good memorial to Kath and Robert Burton, 1742. The oval inscription tablet with surround of bayleaf is topped with a carved bird. The crown with open pediment surmounted by urn and lamps, decorative apron. Carved and coloured Royal Arms of George III. Alfred Lord Tennyson's father was Rector of Somersby and the adjoining village of Bag Enderby from 1808-31.

Listing NGR: TF3436472659

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195995
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/05327/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Miles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].