GULL COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147807

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1981

Statutory Address: GULL COTTAGES, 5-9, LANDERMERE QUAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of GULL COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147807 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 06:59:44.

Location

Statutory Address: GULL COTTAGES, 5-9, LANDERMERE QUAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

National Grid Reference: TM 19886 23827

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THORPE-LE-SOKEN LANDERMERE QUAY TM 12 SE (south side) 5/100 Nos. 5-9 (consec), Gull Cottages, 11.11.81 formerly listed as nos. 1-9, Gull Cottages GV II Range of 5 attached cottages. C19. Painted brick, roofed mainly with handmade red and yellow clay tiles, with machine-made red clay tiles on no.9 only. Single range facing NW, with 6 axial stacks. Single-storey lean-to extensions at rear. One storey with attics. Ground floor, 13 C20 casements, all in segmental arches except the first 4 at the right end, which have straight heads. 12 C20 metal casements in flat-roofed dormers. 6 plain boarded doors, all in segmental arches except the 2 at the right end, which have straight heads. Gambrel roofs. Nos. 6 and 7 have a dentilled eaves course. A stone tablet is inscribed 'The early house of the late Sir William Withey Gull, bart., born 1816, died 1890, physician to Queen Victoria'. The title was confered in 1872 for treating Prince Albert for typhoid fever in that year. In 1840 nearly all the cottages were occupied by mariners. (E.A. Wood, A History of Thorpe-le-Soken to the year 1890, 1975, 150).

Listing NGR: TM1988623827

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120329

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wood, E A , A History of Thorpe le Soken to the Year 1890, (1975), 150

End of official listing