BUCKLAND BARTON

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147829

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

Statutory Address: BUCKLAND BARTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUCKLAND BARTON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147829 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 17:59:56.

Location

Statutory Address: BUCKLAND BARTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Haccombe with Combe

National Grid Reference: SX 88088 71711

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 87 SE HACCOMBE-WITH-COMBE

9/78 Buckland Barton 23.8.55

II

House. C16 and C17 with C20 alterations. Whitewashed rendered stone rubble; asbestos slate roof (formerly thatched), hipped at south end of 3-storey block, gabled at north end, hipped at end of 2 storey block ; projecting lateral stack and end stack to 3-storey block, projecting end stack to 2-storey block. Plan: Overall L-plan : a single depth 3-storey block to the north-west, probably 3 rooms wide originally but re-partitioned, with a 2-storey block to the south-east containing a C19 entrance passage and stair and 1 heated room. Position of original entrance unclear. The remains of 2 early C17 plaster ceilings survive in the south end of the 3-storey block, one on the ground floor, one on the first floor. Exterior: 2 and 3 storeys. Asymmetrical 1:4 window south-east entrance elevation consisting of the end of the 3-storey block to the left and the 2-storey block to the centre and right. C20 gabled porch on posts into 2-storey block to the left with a C20 front door and C19 rectangular fanlight. The 3-storey block has an impressive set of mullioned windows (the stone rendered over). 6-light ground floor window with moulded mullions a king mullion, hoodmould and label stops, glazed with square leaded panes. 5-light first floor mullioned window with moulded mullions and segmental headed lights (centre light blocked) ; similar second floor window. The 2-storey block has 3 C20 first floor casements and one ground floor C20 casement. The left return (3 storey block) is blind to the right of the stack with a C20 door to the left of the stack ; 3 1-light ground floor windows, one 2-light C18 first floor casement with square leaded panes and 1 4-light second floor window. The rear elevation has C20 casements to the 3-storey block, a 2-light C18 casement with square leaded panes to the 2-storey block and a 2-storey flat-roofed C20 addition in the angle between the blocks. Interior: The remains of 2 important early C17 decorated plaster ceilings in the 3- storey block, truncated by new partitions and incomplete. To the left of the entrance on the ground floor, lit by the 6-light mullioned window, a large room has been subdivided but retains parts of an ornamental plaster ceiling including a plastered-over axial beam, parts of a frieze and rib patterns. The dividing wall with the present stair wall has a fine C18 nowy-headed china cupboard with glazed doors and a key block. The first floor room above, also sub-divided, has the remains of a second good plaster ceiling which includes an axial beam with plaster strapwork and a central motif of 3 fishes. The ground floor room to the right of the entrance hall has an open fireplace with a hollow-chamfered granite lintel, the jambs either concealed or replaced, no exposed carpentry. The 2 ground floor rooms in the 3- storey block not already described have chamfered cross beams and have been repartitioned to give an axial passage. Roof: Roof of 3-storey block only inspected. The roof construction is of an early C17 character but rather unusual design, pegged collar rafter trusses mortised at the apex with mortised collars and threaded purlins but mortises for second collars in the rafters : these lower collars are missing but have been replaced with vertical posts on the tie beams. The attic space appears to have been used as accommodation and the trusses may have been adapted to give extra head room. A history of the house by P.R. Whiteaway in the possession of the owner suggests that the plaster ceilings may have been put up in circa 1610 during the residence of William Hockmore (1581-1626).

Whiteaway, P.R. Buckland Barton, a Brief History 1086-1986, (n.d.).

Listing NGR: SX8808871711

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 85742

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Whiteaway, P R , Buckland Barton: A Brief History 1086-1986

End of official listing