Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147858.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2021 at 03:34:22.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Kesteven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 92052 27351


EASTON VILLAGE STREET SK 92 NW (south side) Stoke Rochford 6/91 Church of St. Mary and St. Andrew 20.9.66 (formerly listed under Stoke Rochford parish) G.V. I Parish church. Cll, C12, C13, C14, 1448, 1460-70, C19 restoration, 1936. Ashlar and coursed limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south chapels and porches, chancel. West tower of 3 stages with billeted string course to belfry, corbelled embattled parapet with angle pinnacles and gargoyles. The lower parts were probably an unbuttressed Cll tower, the belfry stage being an early C13 addition, with paired pointed lights, octagonal shafts and round outer arches. In the side walls are slit windows with round heads. In the west wall a 3 light early C15 window with cusps and panel tracery. Above is a further slit window. On the north side a slender stepped C14 ashlar buttress. The west wall of the north aisle has C15 window of 3 cusped lights with panel tracery. The C13 gabled north porch has a single chamfered outer arch with moulded octagonal imposts. The north C14 inner doorway has wave moulding with hollow chamfered hood. The ashlar north aisle has 2 C19 windows of 3 lights. The clerestory has 3 paired lights with cusped heads and moulded hoods. Fine 1460-70 north chapel built for the Rochford family, with moulded plinth, stepped buttresses, pinnacles and embattled parapet. Moulded 4 centred arched doorway with hood and 3 wide segmental headed hollow chamfered windows of 3 lights each having moulded mullions and cusped heads to the lights. The east wall has a central 3 light window rebuilt 1936, and is flanked by the broad traceried windows of the Rochford chantries. The south chapel of 1448 has moulded plinth, stepped buttresses and pinnacled embattled parapet, in the south wall are 2 three light windows with panel tracery and moulded surrounds. In the south aisle wall a pair of C19 traceried 3 light windows. The C19 gabled south vestry has single light and ogee headed doorway to west. In the west wall of the south aisle an early C15 window with panel tracery. Interior. The mid C12 north arcade is of 3 bays having round piers, cushion capitals and square chamfered round arches. The early C13 south arcade has stiff leaf capitals and single chamfered round arches. The tower arch is C13 of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal responds. The broad single chamfered chancel arch has inserted capitals bearing the cypher of George VI. In the chancel the 3 bay north arcade has C14 filleted quatrefoil shafts with filleted abaci now supporting C15 4 centred continuously moulded arches. The south arcade is C15 with octagonal responds and chamfered arches. In the easternmost bay is a heavy crocketed ogee arch extensively rebuilt in C19. In the south chapel an ogee headed piscina and in the north a pointed piscina with wave moulding. In the chancel a reredos, 1911, by Mrs. G. F. Watts, comprising central panel of crucifixion flanked by free standing images of saints, all of painted stone. In the north chapel a white marble reredos, of 1886 commemorating Christopher Turnor. C18 box pews in aisles, otherwise fittings are C19 including octagonal font. The painted font cover made by Christopher Turnor c.l900 and matches staircase panels in Stoke Rochford Hall. 3 C18 funeral hatchments. In the chancel a large chest. Monuments. In the north chapel a C14 double monument, recessed into the floor in a rectangular surround, showing a knight and his lady lying under a blanket, he with a shield of arms, their feet resting on dogs. Also a tomb recess with panelled tomb chest containing angels and above a moulded arch with fleurons, crockets and finial. Flanking the altar are 2 C15 tomb chests having cusped panelled sides with blank shields. In the chancel are brasses to Henry Rochford, d.l470, a small figure of a man in plate armour with shields above. Also Oliver St.John and wife, d.l503. Small praying figures with weepers and shields. In the south chapel a handsome free standing monument to Henry Cholmeley, d.l641. In the centre the couple kneel with a babe beside them. Above is a semi-circular arch with cornice, cartouche of arms and strapwork scrolls and top. To either side kneel sons beneath canopies supported on Ionic columns with obelisks on the canopy. Flanking the centre are Corinthian columns supporting the columns and further obelisks. Extensive traces of original paint. In the north chapel a tall reredos monument to Sir Edmund Turnor, of 1707, in black and White marble with panelled base, bolection moulded inscription panel, set in an Ionic aedicule with broken segmental parapet and urn. In the south wall of chapel 2 marble wall monuments, one of 1678 and the other 1742. A further collection of C19 wall monuments to the Turnor and Cholmeley families.

Listing NGR: SK9205327352


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00827/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H Schofield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].