UPWEY MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1148066

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Dec-1997

Statutory Address: UPWEY MANOR, 25, STOTTINGWAY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of UPWEY MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148066 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 00:10:07.

Location

Statutory Address: UPWEY MANOR, 25, STOTTINGWAY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SY 66678 84261

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEYMOUTH

SY6684 STOTTINGWAY STREET, Upwey 873-1/6/611 (South side) 12/12/53 No.25 Upwey Manor (Formerly Listed as: STOTTINGWAY STREET, Upwey The Manor House)

GV II*

Manor house. Dated 1639, modified later in the C17, and with extensive alterations and additions in 1901. The Manor was owned by the Gould family (qv churchyard monument, Church Street) from the C17. Rubble and coursed rubble, slate or tile roofs. PLAN: the original house seems to have had a central hall, one-room depth, with gabled E end, and possibly projecting bay at the W end, as seen from the S; the H-plan postulated by VCH (Mon.338) seems unlikely, as 1900 sale particulars show a flat front to the E; the main E wing was added, with its deep projection in 1901 (dated over a fireplace). At this time a large extension was added to the W end, stepped forward from the main range. Entrance is from the N side, which has a small central recessed gable between full-size flanking gables; to the right is an added unit containing the entrance door, this probably of 1901. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic, rectangular-leaded casements are recessed hollow mould mullion, with moulded labels; some of the windows have early external casement stays. The E gable has a 2- above 3-light, with a blocked light to the ground floor; the central recess has 2- above 3- above 4-light, the last with transom, and a 1901 insertion. Above the windows is a flush datestone, inscribed 1639. The W gable has 2 above 3 above 3-light. To the right is a full-height extension in coursed stone and with slate roof, with a C20 plank door under a 4-centred arch with recessed spandrels, and a flanking light, all under a pent-roofed portico with stone slate roof, and various lights. The gables are coped and on kneelers, and each has a small brick terminal stack; there is a further brick stack on a coped flush gable to the right. The gable to the W end contains a large wood 4-light casement with transom to the first floor, and low left is a blocked doorway with flush keystone. A 1945 photograph in the NMR show this elevation with a large canted oriel, with central arched sash, at the upper floor.



The E front has paired linked gables covering a central gutter, with gabled roofs to left and right. Various mullioned lights, including an early 3-light to the first floor, right, and a one-storey added hipped verandah-like unit at ground floor level. The 2 brick stacks rise from stone skirts. Roofs are generally in plain tile. The garden front has to the left the large 1901 extension, now in separate occupation and known as West Manor (qv), then a low 2-storey canted bay with hipped roof over 1:2:1 light casements at 2 levels; on the return wall to the right of this extension is a small square light set flush above a 2-light casement. The main S wall has 4-light and 2-light mullioned casements above a 4-light and a plank door, this possibly in the original position to a through passage. The projecting main gable to the right has 3 over 4 over deep 4-light casements. Brick stacks to E and W gables, and roofs are all tiled on this front. INTERIOR: has been extensively altered. From the C17 structure remain deep chamfered transverse and cross beams in the main hall or parlour, with an inserted octagonal timber post, and there are various roof timbers to the collar roofs on 2 purlins. The main hall also has a deep bressumer fire on chamfered stone cheeks, the bressumer renewed, and a stone slab floor. The C20 panelled entrance lobby links with a straight-run staircase to the W of the hall. In the ground-floor room to the E is a high oak overmantel with 8 carved Arts and Crafts panels and the date 1901. The lofty first-floor room to the W, the billiard room, has a fine (imported) rococo plaster coved ceiling with central circular panel enrichment, and a marble fireplace with eared architrave. The attics contain some deep chamfered beams, several of these very crudely carved. (RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 338).







Listing NGR: SY6667884261

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 467965

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970), 338

End of official listing