TUDOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1148100

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Dec-1997

Statutory Address: TUDOR HOUSE, 3, TRINITY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TUDOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148100 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 02:17:39.

Location

Statutory Address: TUDOR HOUSE, 3, TRINITY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SY 68026 78564

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEYMOUTH

SY6878NW TRINITY STREET 873-1/24/389 (West side) 12/12/53 No.3 Tudor House (Formerly Listed as: TRINITY STREET (West side) Nos.2 AND 3)

GV II

House in row, formerly two dwellings. 1603-1610. Portland stone ashlar, stone slate roof. EXTERIOR: twin-gabled 3 storeys, 2 windows, all 3-light recessed hollow chamfer mullion casements with small-scale leading, under moulded and dropped labels; above the ground-floor lights the label runs acroos the full width of the front. To the left a plank door in chamfered surround, and to the right a small 2-light casement in a similar opening, formerly with a door. The front gables have saddle-back copings on kneelers, and there is a central lead spout. Early brick stacks to each gable. The back of the property is tightly enclosed, in squared Portland stone, and with a tile roof slope on a single row of stone slate at the eaves. A flat-roofed dormer above 2 or 3-light casements to concrete lintels, with a door to the right. INTERIOR: the ground floor is in a single room, with 2 transverse large chamfered beams, deep stone-cheeked fireplaces with wood bressumers at either end; that to the right has a fine cast-iron fireback with Poseidon rising from the wave, brought in from elswhere. The front windows are in deep embrasures to floor level, with inserted bench seats. A partition across part of the rear encloses a kitchen area. A new staircase rises in the back left corner to a curved recess. The upper 2 floors are divided each into 2 small rooms. At first floor, the timber bressumer to the right-hand fireplace has remains of early painted decoration, and there is one C17 door (from elsewhere) at second floor. HISTORICAL NOTE: the property, which was then in 2 small cottages, had a Closing Order imposed in 1936, was then bought by the Weymouth Ancient Buildings Society, suffered blast damage during the war, and eventually in 1944 was bequeathed by the architect Walmsley Lewis, the last of the Trustees and Secretary (1944-1977) to the newly established Weymouth Civic Society. Walmsley Lewis undertook the extensive restoration, presented now as a single house, and open to the public.





Listing NGR: SY6802678564

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 467999

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing