HENSALL PRIMARY SCHOOL SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1148400
Date first listed:
11-Dec-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
HENSALL PRIMARY SCHOOL, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HENSALL PRIMARY SCHOOL
SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148400 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 14:10:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
HENSALL PRIMARY SCHOOL, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Selby (District Authority)
Parish:
Hensall
National Grid Reference:
SE 58279 22552

Details

HENSALL CHURCH LANE SE 52 SE (west side)

3/3 Hensall Primary School and Schoolmaster's house (formerly listed as The 11.12.67 School)

GV II School and schoolmaster's house. 1854 with later additions and alterations including those of 1893, 1968 and 1970. Architect, William Butterfield; patron, 7th Viscount Downe; builder, Charles Ward of Lincoln. Pinkish-red brick, partly rendered, with grey slate roof. 2-storey range with 2 first- floor windows with single tall storey, 2-bay schoolroom adjoining. Aesthetic Functionalism. Main range: ground floor obscured by C20 additions, entrance to C20 porch, double, part-glazed doors, 9-pane window. First floor has 2-light timber mullion window with 4-pane sashes and tripartite window with 2-pane sash to centre, both in long raking dormer. Schoolroom has three 6-pane casement windows with 2 roof dormers. External end stack and large stepped external stack to front elevation. 2 rainwater heads bearing initial D. Sweeping roof in 2 levels. Interior retains many original features including fireplaces, cupboards with hinges, dado rails, 6 and 8-panel doors and dogleg staircase to master's house with plain balusters. Conceived as a group with St Paul's Church (qv) and The Red House (qv) and with similar groups at Cowick and Pollington. N Pevsner, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, p 262. P Thompson, William Butterfield, 1971, p 436.

Listing NGR: SE5827922552

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
326476
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 262
Thompson, P, William Butterfield Victorian Architect, (1971), 436

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].