CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1148464

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148464 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 05:58:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby (District Authority)

Parish: Riccall

National Grid Reference: SE 61959 37836

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RICCALL CHURCH STREET 5342 SE 63 NW (east side) 6/56 Church of Saint Mary 17.11.66 I

Church. Mid-late C12 nave with early C13 arcades and late C13 chancel and north chapel, and probable C15 south chapel with later additions and alterations including restorations of 1864-5 by J L Pearson: rebuilding of west tower, south aisle wall and building of porch. Magnesian limestone ashlar with Welsh slate roof. 2 stage west tower, south porch, 5-bay aisled nave, 2-bay chancel with single-bay chapels to each side. West tower has round-arched plank doorway, slit window, first-stage band, 2-light, round- arched bell-openings to each side, second stage band, low parapet. Embattled south porch has angle buttresses with off-sets. Pointed arched opening with roll-moulding to head on colonettes. Pairs of cinquefoil windows with quatrefoils above to sides. Plank south door has diaper- pattern studding and C-hinges with dragon heads within surround of three orders of arches: beakheads to outer arch then animals, faces and interlace to inner arches. Hoodmould has rosette decoration. Capitals interlace to colonettes and one with figures of S S Peter and Paul. Scallop capitals to responds. Pointed north doorway has similar studding within chamfered surround under hoodmould. Aisles have off-set buttresses. To south aisle and clerestorey 3-light, straight-headed, cinquefoil windows in chamfered surrounds. North aisle has one slit window and 2 pointed windows of 2 lights with Perpendicular tracery. South aisle and nave are embattled. West end: north aisle has C19 2-light window with Y-tracery, south aisle has slit window. Chancel: south side. Chapel has 3-light straight-headed window with cinquefoil heads, pointed plank doorway in chamfered surround under hoodmould and 2-light window with Y-tracery. North side: chapel has 3-light pointed window with Perpendicular tracery, 2-light window with Y- tracery. East end: buttresses with off-sets. C19 5-light east window with curvilinear tracery within original double-chamfered surround. Interior: tower has double arch with semicircular responds and octagonal pier. Nave has 4-bay arcade with pointed double-chamfered arches on cylindrical and octagonal piers. Double-chamfered, 4-centred arches to aisle chapels. Pointed, double-chamfered chancel arch and similar arches from chancel to chapels, that to south with brattished capitals to piers. Trefoil-headed piscina. Monuments: Baroque wall tablet to Robert Wormley d.1712, another to Henry Masterton d 1732. Remains of medieval slab with incised cross. Painted coat of arms of George III dated 1792. Painted C19 tablet recording establishment of Riccall subscription school. C17 communion rail with bulbous balusters. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the East Riding, 1978, pp 328-9.



Listing NGR: SE6195937833

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 326312

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 328-9

End of official listing