CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1148552

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148552 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 11:10:22.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Dunnington

National Grid Reference: SE 66818 52708

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DUNNINGTON CHURCH STREET SE 6652-6752 (south side) 12/9 Church of Saint Nicholas 17.11.66 GV II* Church. Late Cll origins, C12 nave with C19 aisles, C13 chancel with C19 aisles and north porch, C12 lower stage to tower with C15 upper stage, with repairs and restorations of 1717, 1738-40 and rebuilding of 1839-41 and 1877 and alterations of 1930. Rebuilding of 1877 by C.H. Fowler. Limestone, sandstone, and millstone grit with Welsh slate, red plain tile and lead roof. West tower, 2-bay aisled nave, north porch, 3-bay aisled chancel. Tower in 2 stages with slits to lower stage, string course and embattled upper stage with twin bell-openings to each side. North porch has round arch with roll-moulding. Plank door in round-arched surround. Nave has tall round-headed windows. Clerestorey has 3-rounded-light, straight-headed windows. Chancel: south aisle has re-used pointed priest's doorway in double-chamfered surround. Aisles have re-used 2-light windows with reticulated tracery to heads and with Y tracery, all recut. East window of 3 lights with reticulated tracery to the head. Interior: round tower arch has plain responds. Slit window above. Nave has arcade with double- chamfered round arches on circular piers. Chancel: south side has 2-bay, double-chamfered pointed arcade on octagonal piers. North side has pointed chamfered arch, window with Y-tracery, C13 piscina and 2 sedilia and further slit window. C13 brackets now supporting C19 alabaster statues to each side of east window. C19 stained glass, that to east window of 1839-41 by W. Wailes. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire: York and The East Riding, 1978, p.219.

Listing NGR: SE6681852708

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 326121

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 219

End of official listing