Clara's Cottage, formerly listed as: White cottage attached to Hawthorn cottage

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149660

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Sep-2014

Statutory Address: Claras Cottage, West Lutton, Malton, YO17 8TA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Clara's Cottage, formerly listed as: White cottage attached to Hawthorn cottage
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149660 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 23:54:26.

Location

Statutory Address: Claras Cottage, West Lutton, Malton, YO17 8TA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Luttons

National Grid Reference: SE9297169145

Summary

Chalk-built, early C19 vernacular cottage. The large rear extension added c1991 is not of special interest.

Reasons for Designation

Clara's Cottage, originally listed as White Cottage attached to Hawthorn Cottage, is listed for the following principal reasons:

* Vernacular survival: although extended and renovated, Clara's Cottage with its exposed roof timbers and floor joists, simple plan form and (in particular) its rubble chalk construction represents a relatively rare vernacular survival for the Yorkshire Wolds; * Social history: dating from around the time of enclosure, the cottage is a good illustration of the way that agricultural improvement prompted the construction of new rural housing; * Plan form: the speculation that the building was originally a pair of one-up one-down cottages, but designed to appear as a double-fronted cottage is of additional interest.

History

Clara's Cottage is thought to date from 1801 and was built as an estate worker's cottage, there being an effectively identical building in Weaverthorpe. Until 1875, West Lutton was part of Weaverthorpe parish which underwent enclosure in the early C19, the enclosure map being dated 1804. This reorganisation of farmland may have prompted the construction of the cottage. Framing in the ceiling of the western ground floor-room suggests that the building had a second staircase and that the building was originally divided into two one-up one-down cottages, but designed to appear to be a single, double-fronted cottage, the western cottage possibly having a gable entry.

The building was listed Grade II in 1987. Up until c.1991, the cottage lacked all mains services and had an earthen ground floor. The cottage is named after the lady who lived there until her death in the 1980s. In 1991, the building was renovated and had a large extension added to the rear, this extension is not of special interest.

Details

Cottage, c1801. Renovated and extended to the rear 1991.

MATERIALS: whitewashed, squared chalk rubble laid to diminishing courses with hand made bricks used for footings, the eaves course, segmental arches to ground floor openings and some patch repairs. Hand-made pan-tile roof covering. Rebuilt brick stack to west gable.

PLAN: Double-fronted, single-depth, 1.5-storey cottage with the staircase behind the front door within the smaller eastern bay. Some inconclusive evidence that it was originally a pair of one-up one-down cottages, the western cottage possibly being gable-entry. Pursuant to s.1(5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 it is declared that the large rear extension added in 1991 is not of special architectural or historic interest.

EXTERIOR: the south-facing front elevation is slightly asymmetric, the western bay being slightly wider and the front door being in the eastern bay, and thus off-set to the east of centre. Windows are horizontal sliding sashes, being 24 pane to the ground floor, 18 pane to first floor, as described in the original listing description. However, the windows are probably c.1991 reproductions. The boarded front door is similarly thought to be a like-for-like replacement. The western gable stack is rebuilt in brickwork, the eastern gable stack (shared and incorporated into the ridge of the attached house to the east) is of older brickwork. The west gable is blind, although there is a hint of a blocked doorway to the rear (shown by an interruption in the brick footings and a ragged vertical joint). The rear is almost entirely covered by the large extension added in 1991. The two surviving original window openings have replacement casement windows.

INTERIOR: all of the internal doors (including those to the extension) are early C19-style plank doors on reproduction strap hinges. The structure of the staircase is considered to be original and in its original location, although the balustrade is modern. Fireplaces are rebuilt with exposed brickwork. Internal walls to the original cottage are considered to be largely original, with small sections of plaster removed to expose the timberwork. Ground-floor windows have exposed timber lintels and the ceiling has exposed joists (of very slight dimensions) also considered to be largely original. Framing in the ceiling indicates the position of a former staircase in the western room, and of an upstairs hearth in the eastern room. On the upper floor, the roof structure is mainly exposed with joists supported on purlins, all being sawn, but with waney edges. A small part of the roof structure, to the rear centre, has been modified to accommodate the pitched roof of the rear extension.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 329375

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing