This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1149689

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ganton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 329347

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GANTON MAIN STREET SE 97 NE (east side, off) 6/8 Church of St Nicholas

10.10.66 - II*

Church. C14, incorporating C13 chancel and transept arches; C15 tower and south porch; chancel partly rebuilt during restoration of 1843. Dressed sandstone with stone slate roof; stone slab roof to porch. West tower; 3-bay nave, north aisle, south porch and south transept; chancel and north chapel. Diagonal-buttressed, 2-stage tower on triple-chamfered plinth. Pointed 3-light west window and 4 paired louvred bell-openings all with panel tracery; openings under head-stopped hoodmoulds; north and west clock faces beneath bellstage. South-east vice with slits. Belfry string course; corbel table of masks, fleurons and grotesques. Octagonal spire recessed behind embattled parapet pierced at south-east corner by a quatrefoil. Grotesque waterspouts and cockerel weathervane. North aisle west window of 2 lights with geometric tracery, beneath coved hoodmould. Diagonal- buttressed gabled south porch has double-chamfered pointed opening. Heraldic shield carved with early C15 arms of.Hillesthorpe in gable apex. Porch roof rib-vaulted. Pointed south door enriched with fleurons and heads, some renewed, in continuous mouldings; both entrances under head-stopped hoodmould. Reinforced south door on bifurcated C hinges; trefoil-headed niche above. Square-headed south window of 3 lights with mouchettes. North aisle on double-chamfered plinth has blocked pointed doorway beneath coved hoodmould at west end, 3 original square-headed 2-light Perpendicular windows and similar east window. Shallow-gabled transept on chamfered plinth has diagonal buttresses and 3-light Perpendicular window beneath coved hoodmould; sill band. Chancel south side has blocked earlier openings and inserted priest's door to east of 2-light geometrical window. 3-light geometric east window. Coped gables terminating in gablets with crosses to nave, chancel, porch and transept. Interior: pointed, double-chamfered tower arch beneath coved hoodmould. Tower stairs corbelled-out on each side of arch. Arcade of wide, double- chamfered pointed arches on octagonal columns and responds. Column bases carved with scallop shells; capitals carved alternately with fleurons and rosettes. Continuous hoodmould on corbel heads. Pointed chamfered chancel arch on corbels beneath head-stopped hoodmould. Similar arch to south transept. North aisle projects beyond nave to form chapel north of chancel. At east end 2 ogee-headed canopied niches, the northern one corbelled on a carved figure. Also an aumbry, piscina and partly-blocked squint. Plain tub font. Jubilee clock of 1897. Legard hatchments on nave south wall. Fine low-pitched roof with ridge piece, principals and purlins resting on moulded ties with windbraces. Monuments. Transept is Legard mortuary chapel, blocked off from nave by carved screen. On west wall, an illegible C18 aedicule tablet surmounted by flaming urn and oil lamps. On east wall, a baroque monument to John Legard (d 1678) with putti. Elsewhere, several wall tablets to members of the Legard family by Fisher and Skelton of York. Tablet by Deare of Rome to William Wilson (d 1792), "an honest, industrious, sober ploughman ..... who adorned the garden" of the Legards. Stained glass: nave south window signed by Capronnier. Good Transfiguration window of 1868 in north aisle. Pretty transept window to 3 Legard sisters. East window said to be by Wailes.



Listing NGR: SE9898777599

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 98987 77599

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149689 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 04:38:33.

End of official listing