WITCH OF THE WOODS HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 500 METRES NORTH OF COWMYERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149803

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: WITCH OF THE WOODS HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 500 METRES NORTH OF COWMYERS, GALPHAY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WITCH OF THE WOODS HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 500 METRES NORTH OF COWMYERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149803 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 16:52:30.

Location

Statutory Address: WITCH OF THE WOODS HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 500 METRES NORTH OF COWMYERS, GALPHAY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Azerley

National Grid Reference: SE 26777 73203

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 27 SE AZERLEY GALPHAY LANE (north side, off)

5/19 Witch of the Woods House approximately 500 metres north of Cowmyers

- II

House. C17 with major alterations 1717 and restoration C20. Coursed cobbles, pantile roof. l½ storeys, 2 bays, with l-bay addition at right end. Central gabled porch with board door. Double-chamfered mullion windows of 3 lights to left and 4 lights to right and narrow fire-window right again. Two 2-light casement windows under eaves. End stacks of stone, with a datestone on the south side of stack to right inscribed: 'W' (George Wells) G M 1717

Bay to right has board door only. Interior not inspected in detail but the house is no longer divided into separate rooms and is only lofted over at the right end. The cross-beam and joists have been removed from the west end. The roof is supported by A-frames with straight timbers of small scantling. The cruck truss described in the previous list description was not visible. Henry Wells of Cowmyers (qv) bequeathed the 'Old Firehouse' to his 3 younger sons, 1 of whom was George. In 1716 one son, William, was selling his share of the house, and it is possible that the whole property was being sold. The datestone at Witch of the Woods may therefore record major alterations by George Wells when he moved there from the 'Old Firehouse' in 1717. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report Numbers 272 (1985) and supplement.

Listing NGR: SE2677773203

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331021

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report, , Vol. 272, ()

End of official listing