Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of FOUNTAINS HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149809 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 15:18:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Harrogate (District Authority)
Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains
National Grid Reference:
SE 27136 68289




9/34 Fountains Hall



Large house, now offices and exhibition centre. 1598-1611 for Sir Stephen Proctor, with alterations by Mr Clare Vyner c1930. Grey limestone, stone slate roof. Built in the Renaissance style of Robert Smythson. 3-bay central block of 2 storeys plus basement flanked by projecting gabled wings of 4 storeys plus basement and buttressed at each end by 5-storey projecting towers. Central round-arched entrance flanked by coupled fluted Ionic columns with statuettes of knights and 2 more in niches to left and right. Balcony above with balustrade and 5 statuettes. Basement windows of 5 lights; 5-light mullion and transom ground-floor windows flanking and slightly higher than the entrance. Behind the balcony is a tall semicircular 5-light oriel window with 2 transoms and to left and right equally-tall 2-transomed 5-light windows - the climax of the facade. Flanking gabled wings: 3-storey bay window with transomed 5-light windows to first, second and third floors; 3-light mullion windows in gable. Flanking towers: 3-light mullion and transom windows to first, second and third floors. Moulded string to each floor level. Crenellated parapets, the wings with shaped gables. Large corniced stacks with coupled flues, mainly to rear of ridge. Rear: shallow projecting gabled wings flanking central recessed range; board door entered from terraced pathway (qv) over short bridge at third-floor level, right. Interior: a flight of steps to right immediately inside the entrance arch gives access up to the great hall. A flight to the left leads down to the basement containing kitchen and service rooms. The hall contains screens passage with enclosed gallery over; a large fireplace with moulded Tudor arch against the north wall and flanked by large mullion and transom windows; panelling. Original newel stair in south-west tower; imported wooden-framed stair with large balusters and ball finials in rear (north-east) wing (inserted c1930). The Great Chamber: elaborate chimney-piece with strapwork, caryatids and sculptured panel representing the judgement of Solomon; the ceiling a replica of that at Canonbury Tower, c1930. In 1540 Fountains Abbey was bought by Sir Richard Gresham and in 1597 it was sold to Sir Stephen Proctor, Collector and Receiver of Fines on Penal Statutes to James I. Sir Stephen built the house from stone taken from abbey buildings to south and east of the cloister, but there is little sign of the stone being reused. He may have built on the foundations of early C16 buildings near the Abbey gatehouse (Hope, p 133). He died in disgrace and the Hall passed through several owners into the hands of the Messenger family who held it until 1768 when William Aislabie added it to his estate at Studley Park (qv) as the culmination of his father's landscaped grounds. The combined estates then passed through the ownership of the Robinson family of Newby Park, Ripon, including the first Marquis of Ripon (1827-1909) who married Henrietta Vyner. In 1923 the Vyner family came into ownership and the hall became a permanent residence again after restoration. From 1966 the West Riding and North Yorkshire County Councils were owners until the estate was acquired by the National Trust in 1983. 'Fountains Hall, Yorkshire', Country Life, August 15 1931. N Pevsner, West Riding, p 213. W T C Walker, Studley Royal and Fountains Abbey Estate, 1976.

Listing NGR: SE2714368298


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
Walker, W T C , Studley Royal and Fountains Abbey Estate, (1976)
'Country Life' in 15 August, (1931)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15659/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].