TOWER OF THORNTON CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149814

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: TOWER OF THORNTON CHURCH, RIPLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER OF THORNTON CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149814 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 21:51:45.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWER OF THORNTON CHURCH, RIPLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Bishop Thornton

National Grid Reference: SE 26142 64252

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 26 SE BISHOP THORNTON RIPLEY ROAD (west side, off)

8/24 Tower of Thornton Church

GV II

Tower of Roman Catholic church. C18. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar. 3 stages, with offset diagonal buttresses. Single-light windows to first and second stages, paired lights to belfry stage, all with pointed hoodmoulds. Eaves cornice, battlemented parapet. The first parochial chapel on this site was built c1460 by the devout John Walworth, Forester to the Archbishop of York, who lived at Raventoft Hall (qv). After the split of the Anglican and Catholic churches Raventofts was a main centre of Catholicism in the area, the priest of Thornton church living at the house. By 1720 the church was in a poor state of repair and probably in 1790 was replaced by the presbytery built then in Bishop Thornton village with a chapel in the attic (qv). A new Catholic church was built next to the presbytery in 1809, while the Anglican church was built in 1888. B Jennings, A History of Nidderdale, 1967, p 401.

Listing NGR: SE2614264252

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330945

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967), 401

End of official listing