COURT HOUSE MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149898

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: COURT HOUSE MUSEUM, CASTLE YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of COURT HOUSE MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149898 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 04:21:37.

Location

Statutory Address: COURT HOUSE MUSEUM, CASTLE YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Knaresborough

National Grid Reference: SE 34891 56863

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3456 KNARESBOROUGH CASTLE YARD (south side)

8/92 Court House Museum

GV II

Courthouse, now museum and gardeners' store. Early C14 with late C16 and C18 additions and restoration 1830 and C20. Coursed squared magnesian limestone, brick, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays with single-storey, 2-bay addition to rear. Bay 1: round-arched board door to right with hoodmould; small boarded opening to left. Board door in plain frame between bays 3 and 4 flanked by barred side-sliding sash windows with glazing bars. Between bays 2 and 3: external staircase, mid C20, rising to C20 board door in chamfered basket-arch surround. 1st-floor windows: 3-light to bays 1 and 4, 5-light to bays 2, 3 and 5; all double-chamfered with recessed mullions and stepped hoodmoulds. Kneeler and ashlar coping to left, hipped roof to right. Gritstone stacks to left end, to ridge between bays 4 and 5, and to rear of ridge at centre. Interior: rear wall is built largely of small red bricks in random bond. Ground floor, bay 3 - large fireplace of C14 type, covered in and details not seen at resurvey. Bay 4 - length of stone walling enters from rear wall and projects into the room at an angle. 1st floor supported on longitudinal beams supported by posts, 2 with straight braces. Much reused timber. 1st floor: bay 1 - C17 cupboards and door, restored and rooms divided mid C20. Bay 3 - benches and panelling of late- C16 courtroom retained as part of Museum display. The earliest parts of this building are part of a range of rooms built between the inner and outer bailey of the castle. It is thought to have been the "House of Records" mentioned in a survey of 1561 but appears to have been largely rebuilt c1590-1610, with an upper storey serving as the courthouse for the Honour of Knaresborough. The roof was raised, left gable wall rebuilt and right (southern) bay possibly rebuilt during the period 1786-1830, when the single-storey 2-bay addition was built at the rear. The prison block attached to north end (q.v.) was added during this time. M Mann, Old Courthouse Museum c1970. Leaflet sold at the Museum.

Listing NGR: SE3489156863

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330755

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mann, M, Old Courthouse Museum, (1970)

End of official listing