SAINT ROBERTS CAVE, ALSO CALLED SAINT ROBERTS CHAPEL, APPROXIMATELY 120 METRES SOUTH WEST OF GRIMBALD BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1149914

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: SAINT ROBERTS CAVE, ALSO CALLED SAINT ROBERTS CHAPEL, APPROXIMATELY 120 METRES SOUTH WEST OF GRIMBALD BRIDGE, ABBEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SAINT ROBERTS CAVE, ALSO CALLED SAINT ROBERTS CHAPEL, APPROXIMATELY 120 METRES SOUTH WEST OF GRIMBALD BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149914 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 08:38:32.

Location

Statutory Address: SAINT ROBERTS CAVE, ALSO CALLED SAINT ROBERTS CHAPEL, APPROXIMATELY 120 METRES SOUTH WEST OF GRIMBALD BRIDGE, ABBEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Knaresborough

National Grid Reference: SE 36100 56087

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 35 NE KNARESBOROUGH ABBEY ROAD (east side)

3/35 Saint Robert's Cave, also called Saint Robert's 5.2.52 Chapel, approximately 120 metres south west of Grimbald Bridge (formerly listed as St Robert's Cave or Chapel)

- II*

Cave and foundations of adjoining chapel or outbuildings. Associated with Saint Robert the hermit, 1160-1218, but no datable features. Foundations of rectangular building containing grave recess, rock-cut bench and steps. Entrance to cave between bench (left) and steps (right). The cave is entered down two steps and contains an outer and inner chamber. The walls and roof are covered by niches and inscriptions. At time of resurvey the cave contained 30 centimetres of water and the building foundations were overgrown. The cave is associated with the legendary hermit, Robert Flower, but it was known previously as Saint Giles' Chapel. Robert's brother, Walter, was Mayor of York and he sent craftsmen to build a chapel of hewn stone in honour of the Holy Cross, with a house where Robert might receive pilgrims and the poor. This site is thought to be of that period (Jennings, p 103) The cave became a popular tourist attraction after the discovery in 1746 of the body of Daniel Clark, for whose murder Eugene Aram was hanged in 1759. The event was used by Lord Lytton for a novel published in 3 volumes, 1832. Abbot Cummins, "Knaresborough Cave Chapels", Yorks Arch J,XXVIII, (1926) pp 80-88. B Jennings (Ed), Harrogate and Knaresborough, 1970, pp 98 and 381. H Speight, Nidderdale, 1906, pp 249-51.

Listing NGR: SE3610056087

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330698

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jennings, B, A History of Harrogate and Knaresborough, (1970), 98, 381
Speight, H, Nidderdale, (1906), 249-51
'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 28, (1926), 80-8

End of official listing