NORTON CONYERS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1150059

Date first listed: 22-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: NORTON CONYERS HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTON CONYERS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150059 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 02:21:53.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTON CONYERS HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Norton Conyers

National Grid Reference: SE 31989 76245

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 37 NW NORTON CONYERS NORTON CONYERS

2/46 Norton Conyers House - 22.7.55 - II *

House. Probably medieval, with C16 extension and early C17 and C18 alterations. Brick, roughcast, Westmorland slate roof. 2 ranges forming square-plan house. 2 storeys, 4 bays. Central, double doors with pulvinated bands and decorative panels. Surround has pulvinated rusticated piers to either side, each fronted by a pair of raised Corinthian columns. The pedimented entablature above has swags to frieze, dentilled cornice and broken triangular pediment above a heraldic shield. Irregular fenestration, with 3-light, 3-tiered mullion and transom hall window to bay 2; large canted-bay windows with 32-pane sashes to bays 1 and 4. 24-pane sashes in flush wood architraves to both floors of bay 4; a 16-pane sash in recessed frame to bay 3, first floor, and a 12-pane sash in recessed frame to bay 1, first floor. Moulded eaves cornice. 4 ogee-curved gables, each with small bulls-eye window, 3 false. Ball finials to kneelers. Cluster of chimneys to right, external stack to left. Further chimneys on rear range. Interior: hall has high coved ceiling with acorn dentilled cornice. Cl7 fireplace with carved overmantle. Parlour left of hall: C18 fireplace, plasterwork, shutters, panelling. Library behind parlour: mid C18 corner fireplace and overmantle and pulvinated, reeded door-frames with rosettes. Dining room to right of hall: doors with moulded architraves and consoles carrying moulded cornice. C18 plasterwork and window shutters. Wide staircase behind hall of 3 straight flights with double balusters of C16 character, many restored or replaced, and ball finials on newel posts. Much of the C17 work on the house coincides with its acquisition by Sir Richard Graham, made Baronet in 1630. The plasterwork in parlour and dining room is by William Belwood, 1781-83, who also worked at Harewood House and Newby Hall.

Listing NGR: SE3198976245

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330422

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,

End of official listing