Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150164.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2021 at 16:02:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Harrogate (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 31446 71129


SE 3171 RIPON MINSTER ROAD 1/1 (south side) 27.5.49

Ripon Minster GV (Cathedral Church of St Peter and Wilfrid) (formerly listed as The Minster)


The earliest church was a Scottish monastery, re-organised by St Wilfrid along Benedictine lines circa 660. Some time between 660 and the Archiepiscopate of Ealdred (1060-69) it was re-founded as a College of secular canons, with 7 prebends (attached to particular localities from 1301), and under the patronage of the Archbishop of York. It was at the same time a parish church, which it remained after the College was dissolved at the Dissolution of the Chantries in 1547. In 1604 the College was re-founded by James I with a slightly different organisation (a Dean, a sub-Dean, and non-territorial prebendaries). It was dissolved during the Commonwealth, but re-founded again in 1660. In 1836 Ripon became a diocese consisting of the western part of the Diocese of York and the Yorkshire part of the Diocese of Chester (itself taken from the mediaeval Diocese of York in 1541). The College was replaced by a Dean and Chapter, and the church became a cathedral, which it remains. The building consists, in part, of St Wilfrid's monastery, and, in part, of restorations and improvements undertaken for the C19 cathedral; but it is substantially the church of mediaeval college.

Crypt Anglo-Saxon. Chapter House perhaps Norman, although the vaulting looks C13. Remainder begun by Archbishop Roger of Pont l'Evegre (1154-81), and completed by Archbishop Walter Gray (1215-55); except for eastern bays of choir, nave aisles, and library. Although Archbishop Roger's work at York is late Norman, here it is in a fully developed and sophisticated early Gothic style. Eastern bays of choir, including sumptuous sedilia (in the Lincolnshire-Nottinghamshire-East Riding style of circa 1320), probably early C14. Library also C14. South side of western bays of choir altered in C15. Pulpitum also C15. Nave drastically altered and aisles added in early C16; and the south transept east side clerestory also probably dates from this time. The works in 1514 and again in 1520-1 were in the charge of Christopner Scure, previously master mason at Durham. In 1615 the spire on the crossing tower collapsed; in 1664 the spires on the 2 western towers were taken down. Restorations in 1829-31 by Edward Blore, in 1843-4 by William Railton, and in 1862 by Sir Gilbert Scott; the latter was the most drastic, consisting principally of removing the tracery from the lancets of the west front, giving them their well-known but illusory effect of being slightly earlier than they actually are, and this conforming to advanced taste of the 1860s. The outstanding furnishings are the choir stalls and misericords in the Nantwich- Manchester-Lancaster style of the late C15; 2 dates, 1489 and 1494. Also an outstanding pulpit of 1913 by Harry Wilson in an early Art Deco manner.

The outstanding monument is that to William Weddell (circa 1789) by Joseph Nollekens. The other good ones are to Sir Thomas Markenfield (circa 1497); Hugh Ripley (the first Mayor under the 1604 constitution) (circa 1637, but the monument was destroyed in the Civil War, and replaced in 1730 by a replica carved by the French emigre Daniel Harver of York); and Sir Edward Blackett (died 1718) by John Hancock (24 ft high).

Many other good though lesser monuments, including an unusual wall monument of plaster to Mrs Ann Hutchinson (died 1730).

Many fine tomb slabs.

Listing NGR: SE3144671128


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/05070/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].