CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1150316
Date first listed:
15-Mar-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150316 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 02:01:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Harrogate (District Authority)
Parish:
Roecliffe
National Grid Reference:
SE 37562 66019

Details

NORTH YORKSHIRE HARROGATE 5338 SE 36 NE ROECLIFFE THE GREEN (north side, off)

2/49 Church of St Mary

15.3.66

GV II*

Church. 1843 by R H Sharp for Andrew Lawson of Aldborough Manor. In neo- Norman style. Coursed squared limestone, red tile roof. Single cell building with 3-bay nave and very shallow chancel, west bellcote and north- east vestry. The large plank door to bay 1 has a ring handle; the doorway is of 2 round orders, the attached columns having cushion capitals. 3 large raking buttresses to south and 2 to north walls. Roll-moulded round-arched windows throughout, narrow windows to chancel. The west window is flanked by colonnettes. The bellcote has a pitched roof and single bell. Massive stone copings to gables. Interior: the barrel-vaulted ashlar roof rises directly from the side walls. A thick semicircular roll-moulding on nook- shafts with cushion capitals denotes the shallow sanctuary which is reached by 5 black and white marble steps. Much reused C16 and C17 black oak: the octagonal pulpit and reading desk with geometric panels and balusters, 3 carved panels in the squire's pew on the south side, dated 1619, and linen- fold panelling on the east wall and between nave and vestry. The vestry doorway is ogee-headed with traceried carved door. More early woodwork in the vestry: carved friezes in relief with biblical scenes including nativity, flight into Egypt, David and Goliath and Salome. Other wood carvings include heads of putti, swags and classical capitals. The vestry corner fireplace has a round arch, the voussoirs carved with crude representations of faces and animals. The late C19 brass wall plaques of the Lawson family and the east window showing the Virgin and Child with Latin inscription by Barnett of York were being removed at time of resurvey, as were the original raking pews built against the north, south and west walls, surrounding a set of benches in the middle. The church is maintained by the Redundant Churches Fund and undergoing restoration at time of resurvey. The Jacobean pulpit came from Holy Trinity Hull, the C15 vestry door and the marble sanctuary steps from York Minster following the 1829 fire there. The church is considered to be a remarkably enterprising essay in the neo-Norman style for this period, especially in the use of the barrel vault. R H Sharpe also rebuilt the street frontage of Aldborough Manor for the Lawson family.

Listing NGR: SE3756266019

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
331806
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04367/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].