This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SCOTTON OLD HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SCOTTON OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1150318

Location

SCOTTON OLD HALL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Scotton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 331811

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 35 NW SCOTTON MAIN STREET (west side, off) 5/54 Scotton Old Hall (formerly listed as "Old Hall Farmhouse") 8.3.52

GV II*

House. C15, and C17 with Cl9 repair and restoration c1980. Coursed squared gritstone to hall and west wing; limestone rubble and cobbles enclosing timber framing to east wing ; limestone and gritstone dressings and quoins. Graduated stone slate roof. Hall and 2 cross wings plan, of 2 storeys, with attics to west wing. 2-bay hall, 1 x 3-bay east wing, 1 x 6-bay west wing. Access is now on the north side, the entrance being in an enclosed porch on the east side of the west wing, under an original outshut. A fine original C17 board door in a moulded round arch with imposts and keystone. A continuous hoodmould, which is carried around the hall and west wing (the gritstone building), apart from the south gable end, steps up over this doorway. An external stone stair leads to a wide first-floor doorway cut through an earlier window on the west wing gable; the stair covers a ground- floor window. All stone-dressed windows are recessed-chamfered apart from those to north gable of the east wing. Central hall has 6-light restored window, and 2 windows of 2 lights to first floor; 1 and 2-light windows to west wing gable which has a first-floor continuous string and a dripmould over the attic window. East wing, north gable: a 6-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window of limestone with a hoodmould to ground floor; a similar 3- light window above. The east wing roof is steeply pitched and without kneelers; there is a corniced ridge stack forward of the junction with the hall roof. A large square stack straddles the hall ridge, close to the junction with the west wing which has bulbous kneelers and a corniced stack at the apex of the gable. Rear (south) facade: a board door in chamfered shallow-pointed arched doorway in the east wall of the west wing, with 4- light window left and single light to right on both floors. Hall windows: two of 2 lights to each floor, to left of a quoined straight join at the change in building material, probably at the position of the original south entrance into a cross passage of the timber-framed house. West wing, south gable: ground-floor windows inserted c1980; single-light windows with dripmoulds close to the corners at first and attic floors leave a central space for chimney flues. East wing: mullioned windows restored. Left return (east wing): wooden-framed windows throughout, c1980 restoration of C19 originals. 2 blocked windows far right, of 2 lights to ground floor and one light above; possibly blocked doorway centre; staight join in stonework far left; the top of a timber post and a wallplate to left and centre. Right return (west wing): C2O porch bay 5; the inner board door with chamfered surround is flanked by single-light windows. Blocked doorway, now 2-light window far left; three 2-light windows to bays 2, 3 and 4. Three 2- light and an inserted 3-light window to first floor. The dripmould on this wall stops short of the right corner. Interior. The building contains several features of considerable historical and architectural importance. The north doorway opens into a porch on the side of a large back-to-back fireplace, serving hall and west wing. The doorways into west wing and hall have wavy wooden lintels, one partly defaced. The hall fireplace has original chamfered wooden jambs with pyramid stops and with plank panelling each side; the ceiling cross beam rests on a beam which is parallel to but within the line of the north hall wall - possibly the limit of the original timber-framed house. C20 staircase. The timber-framed partition wall between hall and east wing is of particular interest: it contains 3 doorways, 2 now blocked, which were probably service doors to pantry, buttery and stairs or kitchen passage. The doorheads are of 2 phases: 2 curved braces formed Gothic arches originally; wavy lintels were inserted in the C17 - one remains in the open doorway, the other 2 were repositioned at the entrance, probably during a C17 remodelling of the houseplan. During the c1980 restoration the exposed plaster on the hall side of the partition wall, to left of the service doors, was found to be covered by early graffiti - written lines, a shield and compass-drawn circles, dating from the C16. East wing, ground floor: north room fireplace with external stack, blocked probably in the C19, has massive stone lintel with shallow pointed arch in a square chamfered surround and single-block jambs. Sockets for shelves and pot holders are visible. The south room has a corner fireplace, built in the C18-C19. The east wing roof construction is of particular importance: the centre and south end are carried on 3 cross- braced crown-post trusses; the upright is thickened at the top to receive the brace from the tie beam. These braces are crossed by a second pair outwards from tie beam to side purlins and rafters. Curved braces also link the crown post to the collar purlin. Roofs of this type, (originally exposed on the gable ends and visible from the first floor) were common in York in the C15 and examples survive in Knaresborough and Ripon, but this occurence in a rural building is exceptional and suggests a builder of some prestige. West wing: the fireplace backing onto the hall has chamfered bressumer and jambs and plank and muntin side panelling, the timber-framed partitions are of C17 and C18 date. The south room has stone pillar which probably formed part of the structure of a large fireplace and oven, the flue of which survives. The west wing first floor was not partitioned until c1980 and there was no access to the rest of the building. History and interpretation. The Manor of Scotton was owned by William de Nessfield in 1348 and in 1387 it became part of the massive estates of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster. The manor house appears to have been rented out from then, until 1653 when Sir Christopher Martyn sold Scotton Manor to George Watkinson. This period covers the major building phases of the house, and the sequence of occupation is not certain. The major family is the Pulleyns. In 1544 Walter Pulleyn, Steward of Fountains Abbey, lived at Scotton Hall. In 1551 he was charged with removing tiles and stone from the old chapel to repair his mansion house. He married Frances Vavasour whose son by a previous marriage married Edith Fawkes, Guy Fawkes mother, shortly after 1587. Guy Fawkes probably spent his youth at Scotton, providing a strong local link with the events of the gunpowder plot. It is significant that in 1653 George Watkinson, a Quaker, took over Scotton Hall. His grave (qv) is in the nearby burial ground (qv). In 1658 George Watkinson bought the chantry house and lands and in 1666 George Fox, the founder of the Quaker movement came to Scotton to what he recorded in his journal as "a great and glorious meeting". The upper floor of the west wing may have been converted to agricultural use, but outside stairs were also used for religious meeting rooms in private houses - this may have been a Quaker meeting house. During the C18 the house was again tenanted, belonging then to the Slingsbys of Scriven, and by the C19 and into the C20 it had deteriorated into a poor tenant farm. A pair of thumbscrews was found in the wattle and daub of the wall above the service doors during the c1980 restoration; they are a type used during the C17. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report No 60, (1974). Mrs Scott, personal communication. A T Waterer, 'Records of the Parish of Farnham etc', Typescript, c1928, in Harrogate Public Library.

Listing NGR: SE3253059558

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in Report Number 60, (1974)

National Grid Reference: SE 32530 59558

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150318 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:05:40.

End of official listing