LONG MARSTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1150330

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Statutory Address: LONG MARSTON HALL, TOCKWITH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LONG MARSTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150330 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 16:45:42.

Location

Statutory Address: LONG MARSTON HALL, TOCKWITH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Long Marston

National Grid Reference: SE 50106 51313

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 55 SW LONG MARSTON TOCKWITH ROAD (east side)

5/29 Long Marston Hall

2.9.52

- II*

Large house and warehouse, now a house. Late C17 with later extensions and alterations mid-late C18. Red-brown brick, Flemish and random bond, ashlar quoins, pantile roof c1985. Of 2 storeys,with attics over part; L-plan composed of a 3-bay entrance range with a 2-bay wing projecting at right angles, right, and a 3-bay added block to left. Quoins to right wing. Entrance range: 6-panel door with overlight in plain surround to right; inserted half-glazed door to left. Sashes with glazing bars in flush wood architraves under slightly cambered stretcher arches throughout; 2 to ground floor and 3 to first. Projecting first-floor band; axial stack to left, at junction with added block, and a large external 3-flue rear stack between bays 2 and 3. Blocked elliptical header-arched openings to ground floor. Projecting wing to right: fenestration as entrance range, the frames inserted into much larger blocked openings which have sawn-off ashlar brackets to form sills and moulded ashlar cornices to ground floor. Raised eaves, hipped roof. Blocked elliptical-arched openings and inserted sashes to left return. Blocked openings with elliptical header arches to right return. Added block to left: bay 1 has a blocked first-floor window and is partly obscured by an outbuilding attached at right angles. Bays 2 and 3: wide central double doors under 5-pane overlight flanked by large 4 x 6-pane windows; two 16-pane sashes above; all with slightly cambered stretcher arches. Straight joins to upper floor, centre, suggest a large loading door. End stack left. Left return: 2 blocked arched windows to first floor. Rear: chamfered plinth; C20 board door and small 4-pane window below 3 tiers of paired 6-pane windows lighting staircase at the rear of the projecting wing, far left. To right irregularly placed sashes with glazing bars and small oeil de boeuf window. Interior. Entrance range has a single large room to ground floor, with a brick fireplace against the rear wall, a partitioned off scullery with steep stone stair in the north corner leading to the cellar below the added block, left, and a small room to right with 2-panel door with H hinges; the floor is paved with small hexagonal stone slabs and the corner fireplace has a roll-moulded surround; it is known as Bishop Morton's Room. The stone floor throughout is laid to very fine joints. Projecting wing, ground floor: a massive panelled door into the rear bay containing a very fine late C17 / early C18 staircase of 4 straight flights rising to the attic storey; the bulky oak cup-and-vase balusters and moulded handrail stand on a solid pine string; the newels are square in section with moulded caps. The risers and treads to the attic storey are original. Middle room with a panelled partition across the south corner with a 3 panel door, contemporary with the dado, leading to the cellar below the end bay of this wing. The end room is 2 steps higher and has a 6-panel door; the pine and plaster fireplace is late C18 with vase-, lion- and satyr-mask motifs;moulded ceiling cornice. First floor; entrance block: steps down from the first-floor landing into a room (bays 2 and 3) lined with reused C17 oak and pine panels in plain and slightly moulded framing, the overmantle missing and ceiling moulding is below present ceiling height, which has cross-beams with the remains of moulded plaster casing. A partition with 3 doors divides this room from a blocked staircase and a small door gives access to a small panelled room and closet beyond; the formers fireplace has a stone surround with reeded jambs and small cast-iron grate and there is a doorway to the added range to left. Projecting wing, first floor, centre: a fine wooden bolection-moulded fireplace with blocked doorway to left concealed by plaster; a very fine massively moulded wood and plaster ceiling cornice. Attic storey above projecting wing: the roof structure is considerably altered; one large principal truss survives, the purlins having mortices for windbraces; a pair of principals forming an inverted V indicate the junction of an original roof to the south-east. Added range to left of entrance bay: the massive brick barrel-vaulted cellar contains a barrel ramp, well and a massive drain which continues below ground outside the house for approximately 25 metres. Long Marston Manor was held by the Thwaite family in the early C17, James Thwaite died in 1603/4. It is probable that the family sold much of the property during the Civil War period and they were still living at Marston in 1674. By 1683 it had passed to the Thompson family, Sir Henry Thompson (d 1683) being Lord Mayor of York after the Civil War. By 1723 the hall was probably divided into 2 and Edward Thompson was living in the present building. His daughter, the mother of James Wolfe of Quebec, was born there in 1704. The Thompsons were wealthy York merchants and owned several properties; these factors account for the present appearance of the Hall. It was originally a symmetrical U plan, the present projecting wing being the north range. The central entrance block is shown in part in Buck's drawing of the hall c1723 and was probably demolished in the later C18. The south wing,survives (now the Old Granary, qv), a single-storey range now links the 2 wings. The Thompsons probably added the left 3 bays as a warehouse and were responsible for alterations to the floor levels of the end rooms of the original wing to provide another cellar. The C17 panelling was concealed under plaster which was removed in 1938. S Buck, Yorkshire Sketchbook (facsimile), 1979, p 239. Dr P Newman, personal communication.

Listing NGR: SE5010651313

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331730

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hall, I, Samuel Bucks Yorkshire Sketch Book, (1979), 239

End of official listing