CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150451

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, SHEPHERD HILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150451 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 00:52:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, SHEPHERD HILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Blubberhouses

National Grid Reference: SE 16796 55268

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BLUBBERHOUSES SHEPHERD HILL ROAD SE 15 NE (east side) 2/20 Church of St Andrew - II

Church. 1851. By E B Lamb for Lady Frankland. Coursed gritstone rubble and ashlar, graduated stone slate roof. 3-bay nave, north aisle with tower and porch grouped at the west end, 3-bay chancel. Built on a steep slope, in an Early English style. Flight of 7 stone steps to studded board door of porch with scrolled hinges in chamfered pointed arch below deep pitched roof with gable copings. Tower of 2 storeys with tall lancet belfry windows, stepped angle buttresses, deep corbelled eaves to pyramidal spire with small lucarnes and finial. North aisle: 3 paired trefoil-headed windows; east window of 3 trefoil-headed lancets, south side as north aisle, west end: 2 trefoil-headed lancets divided by a stepped buttress. Wide gable copings and cross finials to apex of gables. Interior: north aisle roof supported on deeply chamfered ashlar pillar with corbels carrying the timberwork of nave and aisle roof. Nave roof of a hammer-beam type with king posts, the chancel roof has an arch braced truss. Porch inner door has studs and scroll hinges as the door to left into the tower. The altar rail and pulpit are C17 oak, the rail balusters finely carved with alternate fluted columns. The church is typical of the work of E B Lamb (1806-69), having a low contour and heaviness of effect with complicated timber roof structure also seen at St Mary's Church, Gospel Oak, London (1862-65) and St Mary's Addiscombe, Surrey (1868). R Dixon and S Muthesius, Victorian Architecture, 1978, pp 195-196.

Listing NGR: SE1679655268

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331412

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dixon, R, Muthesius, S, Victorian Architecture, (1978), 195-196

End of official listing