MOON AND CRESCENT PONDS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1150612
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
MOON AND CRESCENT PONDS

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOON AND CRESCENT PONDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150612 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 22:09:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
MOON AND CRESCENT PONDS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Harrogate (District Authority)
Parish:
Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains
National Grid Reference:
SE 28034 68872

Details

SE 2868 LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS

9/77 Moon and Crescent Ponds

GV II*

3 ponds flanking the Canal. Completed by 1728. For John Aislabie. Stone and clay lined. The Moon Pond is circular with a submerged paved causeway to the centre from the south-west, and the flanking Crescent Ponds fit within the large semicircular grassed terrace which forms the dramatic foreground to the Temple of Piety (qv). The ponds are fed by small sluices and underground timber box culverts from the Canal (qv). The importance of the garden layout is that it predates similar work by William Kent who was almost certainly known by Aislabie through Lord Burlington. John Aislabie was advised by Colen Campbell (floruit 1715-29) in the design of the High Stables (qv) and the Palladian influence continues through his contact with Lord Burlington in the design of the Temple of Piety (qv). William Kent (floruit 1730-39) designed Holkham Hall (1734) the front of which is reflected in a large circular pool (Summerson p 341), very reminiscent of the Temple and the semicircular terrace framing the Moon Pond which were completed 6 years before Holkham was begun. A further link with the leading architectural influences of the day is the fact that the Moon Pond was originally lined with Termes, a form of statuary displayed at Chiswick House (begun 1725). These facts lead one to the conclusion that John Aislabie practised in the north of England the theories he discussed with leading architects of the day but which they themselves were only just putting into practise. William Kent is credited with the first garden layouts which allowed semi-formal gardens to merge with the landscape beyond, but here again Aislabie at Studley Royal predates Kent at Chiswick and Stowe. Mary Keen, Studley Royal, The Garden, Vol 108, 1983. J Summerson, Architecture in Britain, 1530-1830, 1977 pp 300-346. W T C Walker, personal communication.

Listing NGR: SE2803468872

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
331081
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Summerson, J , Architecture in Britain 1530-1830, (1970), 300-346
'The Garden' in The Garden, , Vol. 108, (1983)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15659/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].